What kinda wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigworm

I have a buddy going to Honduras next month and was going to try to get him to send me some wood from there. What is something I should try to get him to bring back or ship to me? I am still learning wood so if you could have any wood from that area what would it be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Is it that easy to ship or take wood from another country? I am just curious.
When I was in Maui, legend has it, that if you take anyting off the island, like rocks, shells, you will be cursed. Not that I believe it, but it tells you something that I did not take that pretty little shell lol

huntersilver

Actually my mother brought back some Mahogany back from Nicaragua,
very nice wood. I did not have the heart to tell her that if I had
known I would have asked for some Cocobolo, good specimends in Honduras too!

ilikewood

MAKE SURE IT IS IN LUMBER FORM!!! If it looks like a log or has bark, it will cause problems at the airport. If you do bring it back in log form, you must have a certificate of treatment (bugs, disease), so there won't be anything bad brought back into the US.

I bring back wood from all over the world when I travel. Sometimes I have problems, sometimes not. I have never had my wood taken away yet.

heineda

BigWorm,

I would never want to tell you what to do, or try to enforce my ideology on you, but many woodworkers are not using Mahogany. The South American Rain Forest is being clear cut to meet the demand for Mahogany. The rain forest is one of the last untouched parts of the world, and as usual, we are destroying it. I have also been told that there are viruses and diases in that rain forest that man has never been exposed to, and could possibly result in the next black plague. I do not use Mahogany. Make your own decision.

Happy Turnings,
Dan Heine

Nolan

As Bill stated you will need to have it fumigated and also get a APHIS permit. Of course this depends on how much you are bringing in. My imformation is based on my experience and deals with sizable shipments of wood. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.
Nolan

bigworm

I was really think of some kinda wood that is hard to find here. I was going to see if he could find any burl of almost any kind. So he cant just put it in a box and ship it to me? I'm not talking about a ton just a box or 2. That is where he is from and has family so I am sure he could find it if needed. I just don't want him to have a hard time or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom