What kind of wood is this? Large pic.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

I bought 5 blanks of this stabilized burl for five bucks. Made my first pen and the grain and color is awesome. I have no idea what it is though. Bought it at a show and the vendor wasn't sure.

burlpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks identical to some camphor burl I've used. Unstabilized it would smell like turpentine when you turned it.

Rcd567

Seems as Thuya Burl to me. Did it smell and is it oily ?

Didn't have any noticable smell, and not really oily. I'd have to agree that I think it's an exotic. The photo doesn't even come close to the grain and burls in this pen. When I get caught up, I'm going to try a Jr. Gentlemen II with this. Should have more to look at. If I can hold it together. Knots and burls seem to be tricky for me. Must have very sharp tool to cut it.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but from the cracks under the clip... it looks almost like the Lilac pen I did.... how hard was the wood... Lilac is just a couple of notches softer than stone. What ever it is, it is a beautiful pen... good job.

rlofton

Looks more like amboyna than redwood to me. But if it didn't smell, it's probably not amboyna. Amboyna has the best smell in the world, just behind bread cooking . . . or coffee brewing . . . or . . . .

Top Bottom