What kind of wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

Did several pens today, and I have one that I made from some blanks that I bought about a year or more ago, and I didn't write down what the blanks were any one know what this wood is?
2012-01-22_17-16-43_334.jpg2012-01-22_17-16-55_34.jpg2012-01-22_17-17-01_665.jpg

Also came to the conclusion that I need to make some delrin bushings for finishing, I had a crosscut cedar, and a buckeye burl pen chip on the edge when trying to get the bushings off the tube's. :mad:

Also had another pen that had dull spots in th CA tried everything that was suggested in the other thread, the top tube took the CA fine and polished up fine the lower tube wouldn't. It was one of the Jack Dainels barrel blanks that I have; must have been something in the wood. Maybe Wiskey :rolleyes:

Sanded it back down and used friction polish.

Also how do you guys turn the 7mm pens between centers, do you make up special bushings? All the other bushings I get for the larger pens, I chuck them up in my metal lathe and cut cut them so I can turn between centers, can't do that with the 7mm bushings cause there is nothing that goes inside the tube.

Live and learn.

Thanks
Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AultMan

Sepele or afzelia

I've turned a bunch of both and they look almost identical. Both are species of mahogany, which match the color and grain pattern. Could be koa, but the color is a little different than most.

jhprice

Did several pens today, ...

Also how do you guys turn the 7mm pens between centers, do you make up special bushings? All the other bushings I get for the larger pens, I chuck them up in my metal lathe and cut cut them so I can turn between centers, can't do that with the 7mm bushings cause there is nothing that goes inside the tube.

Danny - try chucking up your duralyn, or what ever, in a 4 jaw chuck then turn it down free handed. You can turn the ourside diamater then turn down a tennon. Start to drill a small(er) hole and countersink in the fat end for the points of your centers to fit. Ta Da!

You will need to use a set of mocrometers to get the exact diminsions. Should work.

Top Bottom