What kind of wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMostro

Found these by the road yesterday, what is it?

200782021449_Logs1.jpg

2007820214444_Logs2.jpg

2007820214457_Log3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Arizona Ash would be my guess. It is planted alot around here in tract home subdivisions. They only grow to about the size you have there before they start to die. It is definately not any of our native oaks.

The bark look just like all the ash trees dieing by the tens of thousands up in michigan area from the EMERALD ASH BORER. It makes me sad when I drive down a street, and 2/3 the trees are half dead with only small groups of sprouts off of the trunk trying to survive. It has to be used up or burn and can't be trasported except to the special drop off site. This is why we need to be better about the way we use trees and the way we fill our landfills with some mush usable wood. Thanks for being a shoulder to cry on, Victor

redfishsc

I'm going to be the odd man out and guess, based on the prominent growth rings and by the texture/color of the bark and say it is Magnolia.

Magnolia is very often found by the side of the road, usually a result of the phone company or electric co.

On a closer look I'd have to put honey locust as a close second.

great12b4ever

Redfish, I don't think it is magnolia. I have a magnolia tree in my front yard and I am looking at it right now. The bark is a LOT darker and if this is ther right expression coarser. It is also somewhat thicket than what the pictures appear to show. You usually don't see as much straightness to the outside of Magnolia, as it tends to send off small branches and shoots almost from the ground up, or at least mine does and it is about the same diameter 16-20". You may be right on the Honey locust, right coloring and bark, but is the growth rings as pronounced as shown in the pics? That I am not sure about.

Rob

jclark58

Redfish, I harvested some Honey Locust recently. It can safely be ruled out. I have no idea what it is but It's not Honey Locust.

Jason

ElMostro

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, it was freshly cut (about one day earlier) and was a tree from a yard in a Texas subdivision so I am inclining to the Arizona Ash Curtis suggested.

Hosspen

The bark and the growth rings look like ash to me. Maybe you could turn some small scale baseball baseball bats from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom