What kind of wood is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
There is a pickup load of this at our city brush pile. Anyone know what it is? Very yellow - the guys unloading it said it was a hedge of some kind. the flat piece is about 24x18 and the log is about 3 foot long.

200772193315_mystery%20wood.jpg

200772193351_mystery%20wood%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Gerry,
That was my first thought but I did not know enough about osage orange to know if it was a hedge or a tree or what it looked like. If it is Osage orange there is a free pickup load of it waiting for someone. I don't have the space to store it.

cypressslough

From the pics, it looks like Bois D'Arc (Osage Orange, Hedge Apple, etc.). If there is a pick-up load, get all you can. This is one of my favorite woods to turn. Although, it will eventually turn a brown color. It is a very hard and dense wood that loves to crack while it dries. Once it is dry, it's pretty stable.

These were turned from a Bois D'Arc stump.
BoisDArcDuckCalls.jpg

Brian.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Brian,
Thanks. That looks like the right color. I did not know that Bois D'Arc and osage orange were the same. So, you taught me something. Thanks.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
OK, I had convinced myself that I didn't have room for any of this wood. Patted myself on the back. Then I took one more load of brush to the brush pile and just as the devil would have it, the guys pulled up and unloaded another load! Alas, I am a weak man. Here is what I brought home. Glad the LOL is out of town! Now, to figure out how to cover it up so she won't notice![}:)]

20077222737_Osage%20Orange%20Find.jpg
<br />

doeringr

Definitely OO!
Looks like you may even be able to get some larger turnings out of that!
Love that wood! It glows! Good catch!

Rich

Osage Orange is in the same family as mulberry and what I got from my step-father's ranch in Texas was a much higher, darker shade of yellow with hints of green around the growth rings.. Most of the trees I remember in Texas weren't so large and are not common to MO.. that one must have been growing a long time. It's great wood to work with on the lathe.. have fun and post pictures.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the replies guys. The thing I hated was that I don't really have room to store a lot of wood. Those guys literally brought three pick-up loads of huge chunks of the wood and I had to leave it. It had to be a huge one! I sealed what I got with Anchor Seal (and used all I had left of the sample quart) so now I have to order a gallon. Do I let it stay in the log form and dry or should I cut it up into slabs and then re-coat the ends? I have not really cut green wood before so I am a little in the dark about the proper procedure.

hrigg

Don't know about proper procedure, but I can tell you what I did...

About 10 years ago I harvested an Ash tree that gave me a clear log about 10" in diameter and about 3' long. When I started turning pens this past winter I cut it into roughly 6+" lengths, then sealed the ends of each length. I'm still working on my first section, but I haven't found any cracks I couldn't fix with powdered coffee and CA glue. YMMV

Weighed a lot less this past winter than it did when it was cut 10 years ago...[;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by edman2
<br />Thanks for the replies guys. The thing I hated was that I don't really have room to store a lot of wood. Those guys literally brought three pick-up loads of huge chunks of the wood and I had to leave it. It had to be a huge one! I sealed what I got with Anchor Seal (and used all I had left of the sample quart) so now I have to order a gallon. Do I let it stay in the log form and dry or should I cut it up into slabs and then re-coat the ends? I have not really cut green wood before so I am a little in the dark about the proper procedure.

If you can, split the larger pieces to speed drying. I have run pieces through the bandsaw to slab the sides. This also speed drying. Some will say don't do this because it might promote cracking. Some of my OO cracked, some didn't, I can't conclude anything. If you order your Anchorseal directly, I suggest you buy a 5 gallon bucket. When you do that, they don't charge for shipping. Big savings. I sold a couple gallons, at my cost, to friends and kept the rest. Not paying shipping, I still came ahead on the money. And it keeps well as long as it doesn't freeze. Take all you can get, even if you have to store under a tarp.

Dario

Regarding anchorseal. Make sure you transfer to smaller container what you will use/need.

Once contaminated, mold can grow on it like crazy so it is good to transfer only what you can use up.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Frank. I will check out those prices. I'm sending you a pm.

Thanks Dario. I would have made that mistake for sure.

Dario

Freddie,

One advantage and use for that (contaminated anchorseal) is when you intend to spalt some!fresh wood [;)]...it works well and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom