What kind of wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

falcn63

Anyone have any thoughts as to what kind of wood this is? I bought it from a local sawmill. They had several chunks appoximately 2x2x9. The guy there sold them to me for $2 a peice. He didn't have any idea what kind of wood it was. I'm kinda new at this and don't really have any experience in id'ing wood. Just curious about it if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The photo is too small for me to be of much help. If you can post something that's around 600 pixels wide, that should help. I seriously doubt that it's maple burl. Any sawmill, even in Illinois [:D], would recognize maple burl. [8D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
I see some kind of grain pattern in the wood besides the burl that kinda reminds me of sycamore, or slightly reminds me of an almost lace like grain. Did the blank have a bit of lace appearance or is it my computer's view of your pict?

jrc

Set the wood in the sun for a day, maybe put something over part of it to see the change the sun makes, if it's cherry it will darken quite a bit.

alamocdc

My uncolored Boxelder burl has all been lighter in color than this and while much of my Maple burl has been a bit darker, about half of it has been much like this. My vote would be Maple burl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom