what kind of wire are the wire burner?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I've seen the wire burners available in some catalogs for friction burning rings. They look to me like piano wire/stainless steel singlestrand. Is that what they are? If not why are those so special?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clewless

I went to the local music shop and got a set of 6 strings for $ 5. I cut about a foot off, drilled holes in 3inch long sections of dowel and voila (or viola)[:(] I have notch burners.

I use a G string from a set of light guitar strings. This one is wound (ribbed) but there is no reason a smooth wire couldn't be used. I do think wound string will burn faster and on a pen, a thin string such as a E string might cut into the tube too easily.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Are the wires smooth like piano or are they rough/ribbed like a guitar string?

This is not rocket science. Anything will work. Some even use cotton string. I use plain black wire, believe it is used by gardeners. A couple scrap hunks of dowel for handles. For pens, do not use too thin a wire as it will cut through the blank in a blink. Do not use copper as it heats very quickly and will burn your fingers. Do not spend money on fancy stuff sold in catalogs. Apply KISS principal.

redfishsc

Thanks, the KISS principle is the deal (though in my younger days I was more Metallica than KISS). I have a pile of stainless steel piano wire I use for shark fishing, so I'll give it a shot.

CameronPotter

I use iron binding wire (the type used to keep pieces together when silver soldering).

Why? Because I had it and it is cheap.

It is also available in various thicknesses and is nice and smooth (which I reckon gives a better finish).

It is also very pliable and won't get easily stressed to breaking point (unlike stainless etc).

In the past, I have also used linen thread. This had the advantage that as soon as the burn started to accelerate, the string broke/burnt - stopping you from burning through. Mind you, I got sick of replacing the string...

PenWorks

Go to any music store and ask them for the used strings they take off the guitars they restring, you can get them for free. I get them from my brother all the time, as they just go in the trash after he takes them off the guitar.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I use a G string from a set of light guitar strings. This one is wound (ribbed) but there is no reason a smooth wire couldn't be used. I do think wound string will burn faster and on a pen, a thin string such as a E string might cut into the tube too easily.

Boy it must be late. i got to reading this and had to reread it 2 more times something about the string you typed made my mind go into the gutter[:I][:I][:D][}:)][:D]

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by CameronPotter
<br />I use iron binding wire (the type used to keep pieces together when silver soldering).

Why? Because I had it and it is cheap.

It is also available in various thicknesses and is nice and smooth (which I reckon gives a better finish).

It is also very pliable and won't get easily stressed to breaking point (unlike stainless etc).

In the past, I have also used linen thread. This had the advantage that as soon as the burn started to accelerate, the string broke/burnt - stopping you from burning through. Mind you, I got sick of replacing the string..

do you remember what the strand count was on the linen thread you were using?
I have a whole roll of 7 strand linen thread that was given to me for my leathercraft sewing. but 7 strand was just too big for leatherwork.
wonder if this linen thread would work?

Radman

Heck, I went to the tool closet, pulled out some picture hanging wire, the stuff that comes in a picture hanging kit. Cut off a 1 foot section. Wrapped one end around a scrap piece of wood and the other around another scrap. Works like a champ. Can't beat the price either!
Radman[8D]

alamocdc

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I use a G string ...
You gave me quite a start there, Ron. I guess need to read more slowly. [}:)][:p]
I use safety wire. It seems to be the right gauge and I have a whole role of the stuff from my past. Still using the same piece for almost a year now.

nilsatcraft

Redfish, It is Piano wire that is used on the commercially available wireburners. Like a lot of others, I also use guitar strings. I play guitar so when I finished a set of strings I brought them out to the shop and have used them many times. Like Rifleman said, almost anything strong enough to hold up against the friction will work. I've always used my skew or parting tool to make a small notch in the wood where the burn ring will go and that really helps to keep the wire from straying.

loglugger

Frank, I have always used copper wire tied to dowels on both ends. I am not touching the wire. I make a small grove then use the wire, it gets hot and burns the wood. Is there something that I should know about?
Bob

Tubby

TexasJohn,

I thought I was the only one to use aircraft safety wire[:D]

.20 is what I prefer......but have used .32 also. If you run out let me know[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Ed Jordan
Wichita Falls Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom