What kind of Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I'm working on my 5 pen with a blank that I cut and dried from a tree in our yard. This time it Maple I just don't know what kind of Maple it may be. I have a picture of the leaf and the tree during the fall. Evelyn calls this "an old fashions tree" Once I get the blank turned I need to decide if I should leave it natural or to dye it some color that would be a way to tell it came from that tree. I'm hoping someone here will be able to tell me what kind maple tree this may be. Thank for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 131
  • downsized_1114101530 (1).jpg
    downsized_1114101530 (1).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
It does have the kind of seed shown in the Black Maple photo. I dried, cut and tubed the blank for a euro but I under turned the top blank I forgot to use the largest bushing for the center band end. I have another piece ready to day but I think I'll let it dry out for a while. I think I'll leave the finished pen natural. It should look nice that way.

Daju

It is clearly a red maple (acer rubrum). The ones with burgundy leaves during the growing season are Crimson King Maples. A cultivar of Norway maples. The Pix tell the story. No maple has the brilliant fall red color like a red.
RdG
Chrm Swanton Tree Commission
Grad./ ohio DNR dept forestry TCA

Top Bottom