What kind of mandrel do I need on a Taig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

captvalk

I want to use my Taig lathe with ER spindle to turn pens. However, I can't
figure out what I need in terms of a mandrel, or how it is supported. I gather
that the mandrel is supported by the headstock on one end, I assume by an ER
collet, and by the live center at the tail stock, although I haven't figured out
how that connection works. Sorry for being so dense, but I would really
appreciate your opinions on this.

Bigdaddy

Check Lee Valley Tools, they sell the taig lathe and all the accessories. I used a taig for 8yrs or so with a collet-mandrel and live center tail stock set up. I'll have to check my old computer for some pic's of the set up.
Taig Chucks, Centers, Arbors, etc. - Lee Valley Tools
G is the live center you will use, H is the collet set with a regular mandrel.
Mandrels - Lee Valley Tools
C is the standard mandrel.

Hope that helps. You can also hold the mandrel in a 3 jaw chuck.. just watch your knuckles (damhikt)

captvalk

What kind of mandrel?

Great response, Steve. The only other question I have is how does the mandrel attach to the live center. Perhaps that will be come obvious when I get the mandrel and the live center, but for now it isn't. Is there a hole in the mandrel for inserting the live center?

Thanks,

PenPal

Forgive me for intruding please find my solution for Slimline production on my Taig. Making a brass sleeved outside recess hole a snug fit for the standard mandrel inserted in the outboard end of a brass piece threaded to fit where the drill chuck fits. Also on the outboard end I fitted a bearing into which the sleeved brass receiver for the mandrel is press fit creating a live centre. The recess is about 3/8 of an inch and I used 1/4 inch washers to pack on the shaft. On the head stock I used the Collet Chuck and Collets sold by Taig. For convenience it would be dead easy to make different sizes to accomodate other mandrel sizes.

All this many years before mandrel savers were thought of when I posted, several manufacturers picked up on this design and went into busness selling modified mandrel savers. One pic shows my mod to hold the mandrel with other mods for my Pen Wizard, then on my VL100 lathe. The end view shows the bearing and recess sleeve, the brass one fitted on the Taig.
Trust this helps. Making a through live centre useless for the Taig or using the h/stock collet and locking the mandrel after would work as well.

Pics taken 2007.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001-023.JPG
    DSCF0001-023.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF0003 [].JPG
    DSCF0003 [].JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCF0001-223.jpg
    DSCF0001-223.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 575