What kind of glue do I use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jay_bobo

Hi, I'm new to penturning and I was wondering what kind of glue I should use when I am glue the tube into the blanks? I've heard of ca glue is there any other kinds? Can I just use carpenters glue? Any help is helpful!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

I use gorilla glue 5 min epoxy, ca glue for the finish. epoxy will hold up better over time and temp changes, plus makes putting tubes in the blanks easier, no worriers of the ca setting up before you get the tube in the blank. Be sure to plug the ends of the tubes before putting them in the blank, keeps the glue out. Play-do works great.

Last edited:

dtswebb

Jason,

I'll agree with Harry on the 5 minute epoxy; I just don't like the Gorilla Glue because it comes in the syringes (at least when I see it locally). Most local hobby shops will sell a 5 minute epoxy that comes in two squeeze bottles (typically 2 oz to 4 oz). That's what I use.

Matthew

Tim'sTurnings

Hi, I'm new to penturning and I was wondering what kind of glue I should use when I am glue the tube into the blanks? I've heard of ca glue is there any other kinds? Can I just use carpenters glue? Any help is helpful!

Many people use CA and many people use epoxy. Epoxy seems to be the better choice for longevity and helps to fill gaps in between the tubes and the blanks. Plus it gives you more time for adjustment, there is 15 minute and 5 minute epoxy.
Gorilla glue works in filling bigger gaps but in my opinion it leaves a big mess. It swells up considerably and gets all over the place. JMHO.
Tim.

Jay_bobo

Thanks everyone I'll probably go get epoxy from a hobby store or hardware store, thanks for all the help!

paintspill

If you are still in the experimenting stage something you might want to try is a polyurethane glue. Also made by gorilla glue. It is a moisture cure so it requires moisture meaning you will have to wet the inside of the blank before you put your glued tube in. An advantage to this glue is that it expands as it cures filling gaps. I've used it on several occasions with great results. The only reason I don't use it more is that I'm too impatient. So I use ca so I can turn right away.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Everybody has their own opinion as to what works best. I prefer thick CA. I've been using it for over 8 years with no problems. I've never had a tube get stuck before I've inserted it completely when using thick CA like I did using thin.
I would suggest you try all methods suggested and see what works best for you.

kovalcik

I agree with Monty, try them all and pick what works best for you. I have not had any problems with thick CA. I have also used epoxy. To me they are about the same as far as strength and gap filling ability. The epoxy does give me a little more working time, so I use it if the test fit shows a tight fitting tube. I have had epoxied tubes break loose, but I think it was because I did not mix the two parts well. I have not tried the polyurethane glues.

I use 5 min epoxy or gorilla glue. Not epoxy gorilla, but the one that expands. I am leaning more and more towards this last glue. I feel it fills the inner space between tube and blank completely. Only drawback is that sometimes (very seldom in my case) it pushes the tubes out of the blank, so you need to take the extra step of placing a rubber band to hold the tube inside, but for me, it's worth it.

JD Combs Sr

I use both depending on what I am making. I will use CA on open pens such as SLs, SLPros, Sierras etc but I will use epoxy on higher end pens especially capped RBs and FPs. CA continues to off gas for a day or two after setting up. If used on a capped pen the gas condenses as a white substance on nibs and sections. Not very pretty. I have never noticed it on the refill for the more open style pens.

turncrazy43

Another advantage of epoxy for gluing up blanks is it will not react with the paint in the blank when you reverse paint the blanks. CA will cause the paint to bubble up and in many cases ruin a really nice effect. Just my $.2.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Another advantage of epoxy for gluing up blanks is it will not react with the paint in the blank when you reverse paint the blanks. CA will cause the paint to bubble up and in many cases ruin a really nice effect. Just my $.2.

Top Bottom