What kind of abrasive paper...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Just browsing Kingspor site and never realized there were so many different kinds of sandpaper. Is there a preferred type? Stearite, Aluminum Oxide (and the backing),...etc.

Thanks,

John Payton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

John,
I've used just about every king of sand paper available. I used Norton sandpaper recently and tossed all others in a box and gave them to the shop class at school. I have found that Norton sandpaper cuts better, clogs less, and lasts longer and will not use any other. I get it in contractor packs so I have plenty. I have only found it to 400 grit...the yellow colored paper with paper back. I love it. Give it a try.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by penhead
<br />Just browsing Kingspor site and never realized there were so many different kinds of sandpaper. Is there a preferred type? Stearite, Aluminum Oxide (and the backing),...etc.

Thanks,

John Payton

G

Quite the opposite here.I go to the Klingspor store and get the "yellow cloth backed" sanding roll scraps
I believe you can get it in their Bargain box.
I get the Norton stuff at Lowes if I run short.
I try not to run short.

Randy

Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />Don,

Where do you buy the Norton Paper? The name does not ring a bell with me.

Rockler handles the Norton Paper from 80 grit to 400. I too like it very well and it is the only one I would use.

Scott

Your choice of sandpaper can be a very personal thing!

I use two kinds. I like the yellow cloth-backed stuff from Klingspor in the lower grits, up to about 320. For 320 on up to 600 I have been using the Finkat paper from Japan, which I buy from Craft Supplies. It is very nice paper. I then switch to Micro Mesh.

Most of the sandpaper we would use is Aluminum Oxide (AO) particles. Garnet really doesn't hold up for sanding on a lathe. The black Silicon Carbide paper, the wet-dry stuff we sometimes use to get into the higher grits, is also a nice sanding product, but it is harder and less friable than AO. AO is a really nice all-around material for our purposes.

I wrote an article on sandpaper a while back - I'll try to find it and get it up on our Articles page. There really aren't that many manufacturers of sandpaper in the US. Norton and 3M are the big ones.

Scott.

its_virgil

Tim,
I get the Norton paper from Lowe's and Home Depot. Our local Harbor Freight even has it in limited grits and mostly round sheets. I used some of the Klingspor paper a few nights ago at a friend's shop and was not impressed at all. I've heard lots of good reports on Klingspor but I did not find it any better than the NOrton, if as good, and I can get Norton locally. Just my opinion.
do a good turn daily!
don

Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />Don,

Where do you buy the Norton Paper? The name does not ring a bell with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom