What junk!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

whteglve

Over the weekend I used two Classic Fountain Pen kits from Klingspore, since they're local and they were my first fountains. Well stay away from them. The fit of both pens hardware is CRAP the threads feel like they have sand in them.

The nibs I just don't know. I mean they write good but they leak. I've got ink in the cap and its leaking through to the wood on both kits.

Overall I hate these pens. I don't even want to give them away. I might just circle file them both. Stay away from Klingspore pen kits and bushings I seem to only get junk from them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Klingspor is not a major player - they are buying somebody's kits.

Look carefully to make sure you assembled correctly, THEN go back to Klingspor. They will probably replace them, IF they know anything about pens.

(Not meant to be sarcastic, I have never heard of them selling pen kits!!)

Texatdurango

Over the weekend I used two Classic Fountain Pen kits from Klingspore, since they're local and they were my first fountains. Well stay away from them. The fit of both pens hardware is CRAP the threads feel like they have sand in them.

The nibs I just don't know. I mean they write good but they leak. I've got ink in the cap and its leaking through to the wood on both kits.

Overall I hate these pens. I don't even want to give them away. I might just circle file them both. Stay away from Klingspore pen kits and bushings I seem to only get junk from them.

I think I would tend to agree with some of the others and say your post is a bit much. When I started turning I had already been working with wood for over 30 years and when something screwed up I automatically assumed it wasn't my fault..... I soon learned better!

I have assembled and used dozens of fountain pens with never a leak. I have also made dozens of custom fountain pens with nary a leak. I use fountain pens all the time now and find it hard to believe that you got two defective kits in a row that had the same problem!

Are you sure you are seating the ink refill into the pen properly and with enough force to make it "snap" in place? I would imagine that without the proper amount of force, the cartridge could be inserted almost all the way and start to leak when used.

If you still feel like tossing them in the trash, I'll take them! Maybe we can figure out what's going on with an extra set of eyes on the pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To assist in evaluating what COULD be wrong, did you insert the cartridges, then take them out and reinsert them???

Some have said this CAN be done, I consider it an invitation to make the pen leak.
(Not all invitations are answered)

whteglve

When I seated the cartridge in the nib tip, I pressed it in until it popped and wouldn't go in any more. The leaks aren't coming from the joint of the nib and cartridge. They're coming from the nib itself. One had just a littel bit of ink on the concave side of the nib (around the plastic) and also leaks between the black plastic and the gold colored inserts just above the nib. The other had enough ink, on the concave side, on it to hide the number "2" on the plastic. I'm planning on looking at the threads of both pens in the QC lab at work to see what the problem is there.

Top Bottom