What to inlay in Ancient Bog Oak for Copper Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skubasteeve

I am looking at doing a basic inlay for a Copper Cigar pen with ABO blank.

What would work well as an inlay to match the copper?

I am new to working with inlays/segments so dont throw anything too complicated at me. I am most looking for which wood will go best with the copper.

I am willing to try a metal inlay as well, but have no idea where would be best to get the copper from.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skubasteeve

That sounds interesting... is there anything listed anywhere about one would go about doing this?

Sounds like It may be a bit over my head, but still sounds very intrigueing

triw51

That sounds interesting... is there anything listed anywhere about one would go about doing this?

Sounds like It may be a bit over my head, but still sounds very intrigueing

I take brass and with a course file get a small pile of shavings (or use swarf from turning a piece of brass on a lathe). Then mix up some epoxy with fine charcoal dust and the brass filings then fill your hole. This is simple and easy.

Jim Burr

Banned
I am looking at doing a basic inlay for a Copper Cigar pen with ABO blank.

I am willing to try a metal inlay as well, but have no idea where would be best to get the copper from.

eBay or Amazon has good stock. Your local BORG will have copper flashing that many use. Beware of the adhesive you use...not all work well with metal and wood. Experiment and learn what works best for you.

skubasteeve

what type of epoxy would one use for this?

How about using CA Glue with filings mixed into it? Possibly with mixed in Bog Oak Sand Dust to match the colour.

CrimsonKeel

I wrote a tutorial on this very thing. Inlay Tutorial

Now instead of malachite like my tutorial I would use copper to match the copper pen. Snip up small pieces of wire and glue those in. If you want to try stone a turquoise or lapis lazuli would look nice. I think malachite would be too dark

skubasteeve

I don't see how you actually made the inlay, what did you mix the malachite with before putting it in the 1/8" deep hole?

CrimsonKeel

Oh each photo has a caption here is the text from one

Sorry i missed showing the depth but its about 1/8 inch drilled with a Forstner bit. (this photo is after i sanded the inlay flat. to inlay i squirt a little thin CA into the cavity and then sprinkle powder stone into the bottom. this fully hide the wood. then i place larger crushed pieces on top and press then down. Do a final soaking of CA glue and let cure hard before sanding

Top Bottom