Is this what I need to bore a hole on the lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

Finally starting to wrap my head around collets, chucks, tapers, etc etc...

So, I wanted to know if this is what I need to fit an MT1 lathe (shop fox w1704):

#1 Pin Jaws

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CJAWPC.html?prodpage=1CJ

+
Utility Grip 4 Jaw Chrome Lathe Chuck System

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html?prodpage=1CU

and then a

1/2 in. Drill Chuck #1MT

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM31.html?prodpage=1TM
+ drill bit.

Am I missing something? Will this do the job?

Thanks so much.

Part of what I don't understand is that the chucks in PSI magazine say the pin jaws internal grip is 1" to 2 1/8" but my pen blanks are like a half inch. So I'm thinking I dont really know what that means lol.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

I started drilling on my HF mini lathe with the $80 dedicated pen blank chuck (along with a 1"x8 tpi by 3/4"x16 tpi reducing bushing and the MT1 drill chuck. UNFORTUNATELY, I need to buy a new drill chuck or JT33xMT2 adapter for my new Jet lathe. I think the reducer bushing was about $10 from PSI plus $80 for pen blank chuck and $35 for drill chuck.

edstreet

The jaws make the difference.

attachment.php

On mine I use some 1" jaws, it's not a 0" fit but it does the job for most things.
attachment.php

The #1 problem with MT1 is typically the motor size is rather small and the heavier tooling you add on there the more it causes problems and shortens the lifespan.

Attachments

• 705331_4076122263306_763681206_o.jpg
    705331_4076122263306_763681206_o.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 1498845_10201151488531218_1124630635_o.jpg
    1498845_10201151488531218_1124630635_o.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 556

shortz1lla

Get a 3/4" keyless drill chuck from ebay. It's cheaper and the larger capacity comes in handy. Other chucks, no idea. I only use a psi mandrel and saver combo for penturning... all drilling is done on my press. I have seen dedicated pen blank drilling chucks available at a few online retailers, could be something worth looking into.

Cmiles1985

I love the dedicated pen blank chuck. No more wondering if I'm centered to the bit. No more wondering if the blank is holding square or if the bit is wobbling. The only problem I have with it is figuring out where to put my drill press!

Quality Pen

Ok, I kept reading old posts from searching for every question I could think of, and I decided to bite the bullet and go for the Nova G3. My philosophy all along was that I wanted to make good, quality pens and people just constantly spoke well of this piece of equipment. There were a few reviews sprinkled about where people who used the PSI stuff said it was good, but it wouldn't last and/or once they used better tools then wondered, "Why not sooner?"

That, and also my spouse/pen-making partner would hold it against me if I cheaped out on tools! LOL... That's worth something, right?

Edward Cypher

Your spouse is a keeper if supporting this hobby. I have two G3 and love them. They get the job done and nova now makes a jaw set for pen drilling. I do not own it but it is similar to PSI it does look a little beefier on the screen shots. I have not seen it in person but I believe woodcraft carries them.

Quality Pen

Your spouse is a keeper if supporting this hobby. I have two G3 and love them. They get the job done and nova now makes a jaw set for pen drilling. I do not own it but it is similar to PSI it does look a little beefier on the screen shots. I have not seen it in person but I believe woodcraft carries them.
I believe you're talking about the pen jaws kit. I saw it was only 2 jaws? I think... but if it lives up to their reputation i know it will be high quality and useful all the way.I ordered that as well.

toddlajoie

Quality Pen;1630403I believe you're talking about the pen jaws kit. I saw it was only 2 jaws? I think... but if it lives up to their reputation i know it will be high quality and useful all the way.I ordered that as well.[/quote said:
Yep. I got them a few weeks ago and really do not see me drilling any more pen blanks on my press ever again... Works great for both square and round blanks. The only thing I may say (have not run into it yet. just thinking...) is if you have a square blank that is twisted or warped, I would probably drop it between centers and round it out true before drilling...

Top Bottom