What I learned today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

I turned an Olympian Elite 2 this morning out of Exotic Blank's Burnt Copper. I have been pretty much converted to tbc since George's excellent article. I, so far, use the stock pen kit bushings. As I was almost turned down to the bushings I noticed things didn't appear to be ROUND!:eek:
When I removed the blank to check it with calipers I noticed the bushing had some dried ca on it. After scraping the bushing clean, I took time to sand the ends of the blank with a converted barrel trimmer and then remounted the blank. I could feel how out-of-round the blank was as I turned it down. I can see why johnnycnc's bushings are so popular! :biggrin:

Just wish I had paid attention to the fact that the two bushings on the cap end were different sizes ... lost my center match. :redface:

If we learn by our mistakes ... I'm learning something everyday! :)

Attachments

• OE2sm.jpg
    OE2sm.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Lenny I still use a lot of my stock bushings to TBC. I'm slowly replacing them with Johnny's excellent bushings. You'd be surprised just how many bushings I've tossed after finding they are nowhere close to being drilled in the center!

bitshird

I turned an Olympian Elite 2 this morning out of Exotic Blank's Burnt Copper. I have been pretty much converted to tbc since George's excellent article. I, so far, use the stock pen kit bushings. As I was almost turned down to the bushings I noticed things didn't appear to be ROUND!:eek:
When I removed the blank to check it with calipers I noticed the bushing had some dried ca on it. After scraping the bushing clean, I took time to sand the ends of the blank with a converted barrel trimmer and then remounted the blank. I could feel how out-of-round the blank was as I turned it down. I can see why johnnycnc's bushings are so popular! :biggrin:

Just wish I had paid attention to the fact that the two bushings on the cap end were different sizes ... lost my center match. :redface:

If we learn by our mistakes ... I'm learning something everyday! :)

Lenny, a good trick/thing that's easy to do is every so often soak your bushings in Acetone, I do it even with my Delrin bushings,

fernhills

I have a little plastic container that i fill with just enough Acetone to cover the bushing. When it gets dirty i partially leave the lid off and it evaporates, then i start over. Carl

Lenny

I did recently get a container of acetone moved to my turning area... before that I had two identical small jars, one acetone and the other accelerator .... don't know for sure now which is which. :eek:

Padre

Um, who's Johnny? And where are these bushings?

Great idea about the acetone.

Top Bottom