What I did this weekend!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Well several days ago I asked this group about TS jig for making segments. ..... So Saturday afternoon I made the jig with different pieces of wood in the shop. The only thing I bought was a 10" 1/4 / 20 rod. Thanks every body. I then continued my educational process with a CA finish. Still not happy with the results:frown: Completed three more wine stoppers. I buffed out the lacquer finish on them. Used my NEW Paul Drill Press vise, and drilled five cigar pens in about 1/2 hour. Sunday I turned all five pens. I have never turned that man pens in one day. Either my skills are getting better or the Good witch in extended the day longer. No their not finished yet, but all are ready for lacquer. I lacquer when the wife is not around. Tomorrow !!! Tulipwood, Cocobolo, then atwo acrylics, PR Princess Blue-- and a Midnight Black.

Will be experimenting with segmented blanks as soon as the jigs 10" 1/4 -20 is finished. :):)

BTW Did Lou ever finish all those pen with CA. Or is his nose still out of joint.

stevers

Sounds like a very productive weekend, good for you. I'm jealous of your Paul vise. I built my sled a while back, not the one you did I'm sure. Mine didn't require a threaded rod. It works great for me. I use it mostly for cutting small peices, segmenting and the such.
Hang in there on the CA finish. I've been trying to master (or at least get to look decent) that finish for tooooooo long now. The thing that kills me is, it changes with just about every wood type. And when the wood has diff grains or sap and heart wood in it, forget it. Sometimes I'll just go back to my Poly finish for a certain pen.
Stick with it and just remember to have fun. I have lost sight of that lately and that's going to change.

Top Bottom