What headstock drive?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

I been having alot wasted time fixing my CA finish because it has been sticking to my bushings and cracking or peeling when i separate the bushings from the pen. I try to clean all the CA off the bushing before I take it apart but that doesn't always prevent it. So now I'm going to try the change to the manderless method.

I know I need to get the 60 degree tail stock, but what do I use for the head stock? I'm eying the Barracuda2 T/N at PSI... and then would also order 60degree tail stock from them too. It appears that the Barracuda has a head stock drive attachment. Would that work for turning between center, or is there something else at PSI for the head stock that you would recommend that i get in stead (or in addition)

Thanks,

D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Turning between centers requires a "Dead center" and a "Live center" . The dead center is just a solid bar of steel (sometimes with a carbide tip) that fits in your headstock using the MT2(or MT1 depending on your lathe) taper in the spindle of your headstock and has a 60 degree point on it , and the live center goes in your tailstock also using a MT2 taper but has a ball bearing unit that allows the 60 degree point to spin freely .
You can get these centers from several places online or from the vendors here in the classified section .

jimbob91577

One thing I have just recently tried and seems to work a lot better, is to put paste wax on the ends of the pen parts and bushings after turning. It seems to keep the CA from sticking to the bushings. Once I'm done with my finish, I use a Q-Tip to clear out any remaining wax from the inside of the tubes. It also acts as a lubricant when squeezing parts together.

You could put the wax on the ends before turning I guess and save yourself the hassle of removing the blank from the mandrell after turning.

Top Bottom