What happened on my finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I hope it can be seen in these pix I took! I turned this cross cut tulip poplar blank. I did a lacquer finish over the course of several days. When I finished with that and was thinking about putting it together, I noticed that there are a couple of places where there's what kind of looks like a crack in the finish. Where this happened, it runs the length of the tube, and you actually feel a small ridge when you run your finger over it. It's a little bit whiter there too. Anybody have any idea what might have caused this? I was very disappointed b/c it was hard to turn and as you can see, I fixed a blow out, and thought I did a good job of that, but now I'm thinking the whole thing may be unusable.

2006386257_1181847IMGsmall.jpg

2006386312_118-1848_IMG.jpg

pssherman

Angela,
I had something similar to this when I first turned angle cut bloodwood and had a blowout. I use CA to repair the blowout and then finished with Shellawax. I gave this pen to my wife and several months later when I looked at it again, several cracks had formed. I am thinking that the blowout may have caused more damage than was first visible and as the moisture content changed, the cracks surfaced which were previously below the surface. This may also explain what happened to your pen blank.

Paul in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom