What grits do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Hey All,

I have a couple more questions about sanding:

What grits do you use prior to using micro mesh?
I buy the box of rolls that has 150, 220, 320, 400, 600.
I rarely use the 150, so I end up with left overs when the others run out. I also think that the 320 is not needed, I think you can sand: 220, 400, 600, then micro mesh.

What do you all think, does my order sound good: 220, 400, 600, micro mesh?

Has anyone tried the sandscreen product available from Supergrit?
It seems interesting. It says it wont load up. On one hand that sounds good because it will make it last longer, on the other hand, I think that the "slurry" that you build up while wet sanding acrylic does a lot of the work. Here is a link to the product:http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_rolldrumsleeve-sandscreen.asp

Let me know what you think. All my sanding products were ruined in my flood incident, so I have to re-stock and I want to do it smart this time.

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you're re-stocking, I'd suggest checking Klingspor; I prefer their products over Supergrit--they seem to last a bit longer. Also, IAP members get a discount from Klingspor. They also carry Abranet products, which is very much like what you described.

Chasper

for resin - 320/400/600/MM
same for wood unless it is soft and looks rough after turning, then I use 220 before the 320

Occasionally I skip the 320, but I can't imagine ever doing without it all the time

TBone

Originally posted by drayman

Steve, i use abranet them mmesh

Ditto. If you want something that won't wear out quick, this is your stuff. It's tough as nails and (at least to me) it leaves a more consistent scratch pattern, which makes it easier to remove them with the next grit.

JimB

My work with my skew has gotten much better so now I start with 500 then go to all steps of MM. All dry. If my skew work doesn't come out very well for some reason I'll start with a lower grit. I don't skip grits as you are doing becuase I find I have more difficulty getting rid of the sratch patterns and sometimes it doesn't become obvoius until after I have put on my finish.

gerryr

1500 micromesh is equivalent to 400 grit, so sanding to 600 or 800 grit and then starting with 1500 MM is going backwards. Also, skipping grits is not a good idea, they are there for a reason.

A good general rule is to increase your next grit by 50% If you start at 220 the following would be 320 (330) 400 (480) 600, 800 (900) 1200,
This is the progression that I use after 150.

Larry

karlkuehn

Banned
All I ever use is Norton 320 and then MM, but that's only if my skewing goes awry. Mostly I skew and then go straight to MM2400, working forward from there, unless I need to CA sand/fill some grain, at which point I use the 320 and then go straight to MM

Rick_G

I generally start at 180 and sand to withing 2 thou of the fitting size. Then go 220, 320, 400. At 600 I wet sand with BLO and if needed I'll wet sand with BLO and thin CA to fill small holes. Then wet sand with BLO at 1200 and 1500. Apply my CA/BLO finish. Lightly wet sand with 1500 lengthwise then use auto body finish with scratch and swirl remover. I don't use MM. Just to expensive for the number of uses I get out of it and I find the auto body finish works just as well.

Top Bottom