What a good book to get?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
What's a good book to get on pen turning? Are there ones that cover the basics and also more advanced pen turning? I think I would like to get a book to read before I get everything else. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Books are a tool. And like tools........Can you ever have to many?

I won't give you any titles. I will suggest that if you admire someone work.....get their book. I have several people whos work I admire. I have gotten their books and read them, look at them, check out ideas and questions with them.
You will get several answers and all are great. THEN, you will find out what works for you. You can never learn to much or ever have to much information.

Best wishes,

alphageek

Former Moderator
Richard Kleinhenz - The Pen Turner's Bible.

I second this one! Its a more recent book and is almost like a portable version of IAP. A ton of what is in here can be found on IAP, but in this format it worked really well.

If you're a person who likes to collect, Exotics has them signed by the author. (And Richard did sell them here at IAP early on, but haven't seen him do so in a while)

Last edited:

plantman

Dan; I am a book nut, and have most of the books on pen turning. My top choises would be The Pen Turners Bible by Richard Kleinhenz, followed by Pen Turners Workbook 3ed Edition by Barry Gross. These are advanced pen turners books, but also give you the basics in how to start making pens and equipment that you will need to get started. There are many other books out there for basic pen turning. Don Ward also has a book Turning Modified Slimline Pens that gives the new turner many ideas and photos on how to get started. Although it focuses on the Slimline, the methods can be applied to any pen kit. Go to Amazon.com for best prices. Jim S

Jim Burr

Banned
Excellent suggestions. I know you mentioned books, but DVDs are great resource for repeat viewing and to actually see the "live" process. In addition, Youtube is a huge resource that you shouldn't neglect.

Carl Fisher

I didn't have much time to qualify my post earlier, but I just want to add that I agree with everyone above. Books are absolutely tools and as the saying goes if you ask 2 turners how to do something you'll get 3 different answers. The one I posted is very much a collection of knowledge that has been shared here on IAP over the years. In fact you see the influence of many pens in the book on many pens you see here on the forum.

There are going to be some that are not as good, and many that will cover the same basics as every other. Where they will start to stray is in the use of or preferred tooling, finish techniques, design, etc... but they will do a good job of priming you to find your own style and methods.

On the topic of videos, there are so many on youtube that you can quickly loose an entire day watching them. I highly recommend the series of videos put out by Ed Brown from Exotic Blanks. Covers a wide range of topics and a great place to start if you're more of a visual learner.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

Agree with the books mentioned above. Another to consider is "Turning Pens & Pencils" by Walter Hall.

walshjp17

All the books mentioned up to now are great resources. I might add Kip Christiansen's and Rex Burningham's Turning Pens (DVD set also) as well as Mike Cripps' Turning Pens and Desk Accessories, Dick Sing's Pens from the Wood Lathe and Unique and Unusual Pens from the Wood Lathe, and Walter Hall's Turning Pens and Pencils. These are older books than those previously mentioned but still have some great ideas and tips for the new penturner.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the help. I checked Amazon and I can get The Pen Turners Bible for just under $16.00 and it prime so I get free 2 day shipping. I'm going to take a look at the other books they have as well and I'll check to see if they have any DVDs. I did order the free DVD that Penn state has.

its_virgil

Excellent choice!
Don

Thanks for all the help. I checked Amazon and I can get The Pen Turners Bible for just under $16.00 and it prime so I get free 2 day shipping. I'm going to take a look at the other books they have as well and I'll check to see if they have any DVDs. I did order the free DVD that Penn state has.

Jim Burr

Banned
All the books mentioned up to now are great resources. I might add Kip Christiansen's and Rex Burningham's Turning Pens (DVD set also) as well as Mike Cripps' Turning Pens and Desk Accessories, Dick Sing's Pens from the Wood Lathe and Unique and Unusual Pens from the Wood Lathe, and Walter Hall's Turning Pens and Pencils. These are older books than those previously mentioned but still have some great ideas and tips for the new penturner.

The Kip and Rex dvd set got me through about 200 pens. Tons of info that never gets old. Passed it on to Jim Adkins grand kids a few years ago...gotta pass it on!

Top Bottom