What goes????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

When I finally can return to my shop I want to make a pen using this blank. It is a so called Tru-stone material called Mexican Agate. Now I have made pens with just this material used and it to me is one of the most stunning materials I used. But what i want to do is some sort of segmenting with it without losing much of the color.

I am looking for suggestions as to what other material or materials would go with this blank color??? I know I probably could always go with white or black but need something more striking I think. Open for suggestions and if you have photos that would be good too. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

John; First thing that comes to my mind would be thin brass or copper ribbons running lengthwise. Any square or angled segmenting would break the pattern flow of these beautiful blanks. Jmi S

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, I honestly wouldn't segment a blank like that. In my opinion, its too loud to sit with a clashing segment. To me it would make a great closed ended pen.
To me, the best segments are those with blanks that are too plain on their own.
I also think a loud blank must go with a plain kit and similarly, a loud kit needs a plain blank.
Loud and loud only works in segments when taken to the extreme.......like the Gisi stuff.
However, having said all that....maybe a simple segment with a solid white would work.

Good luck buddy.:wink:

jyreene

I'm kind of with Steven on this but if you wanted to do some something like it I would add accent bands either at the cap to body, cap finial, front section to body, or body finial (all obviously highly dependent on the style you choose). But I would say either gold or even white with the slight white running through some parts of that blank.

Katya

I agree with Skiprat too, but I have one other suggestion.. malachite. Also loud, and could be a dramatic partner. Would depend on how you use it, mind you. Just a thought.

KenV

Black is always a good contrast to the strong texture of pattern that goes through that blank.

If you want metal between segments, silver or german-silver would be appropriate, but segmentation without metal would avoid the risk of "cheapening" the effect.

Silver or platinum fittings on the pen and use of a blingless design would be appropriate.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When I finally can return to my shop I want to make a pen using this blank. It is a so called Tru-stone material called Mexican Agate. Now I have made pens with just this material used and it to me is one of the most stunning materials I used. But what i want to do is some sort of segmenting with it without losing much of the color.

I am looking for suggestions as to what other material or materials would go with this blank color??? I know I probably could always go with white or black but need something more striking I think. Open for suggestions and if you have photos that would be good too. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure you can get much more striking than that blank already is.....

mmyshrall

John,

While I agree with the rest who advise to leave the blank alone, just be aware that blue is the complementary color for orange. If you are set on segmenting, you also have a range of shades and hues in the blue family that you can choose from.

Michael

Rink

I'm not the expert that a lot of folks here are, but my two cents...

Black as a first choice. Runner up would be blue, but an earth-tone kind of blue I think, not a royal or bright blue.

Top Bottom