What glue to use??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Hey Penfolk,
I was wondering if anyone ever glued a brass tube to the High Density poly material some folks use to make casting molds(cutting boards).
I know we use this type of material because CA really dont stick to it but I want to know if there is a way to glue a tube into a piece of cutting board??? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback............;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

There aren't many plastics I've seen that this wouldn't bond.

It will bond to the brass just fine. Can't promise it'll bond to the HDP. Give the inside of the HDP a good acetone wash to perhaps chemically soften/abrade it a bit, let it air dry and goop in the epoxy.

________
[B)]doh. forgot the pic. Here it is...

devconplasticweldersyringe.jpg

redfishsc

Not a bad idea blind squirrel. Perhaps you could drop the HDP over in boiling water (put in a plastic ziplock to keep dry) while freezing the brass tube-- will make the thermal expansion even more user-friendly.

IPD_Mrs

Not a bad idea blind squirrel. Perhaps you could drop the HDP over in boiling water (put in a plastic ziplock to keep dry) while freezing the brass tube-- will make the thermal expansion even more user-friendly.

Not really because even though the O.D. will enlarge, the I.D. will shrink as the HDP expands. :(

Mike

redfishsc

Not really because even though the O.D. will enlarge, the I.D. will shrink as the HDP expands. :(

Mike

Hmmm--- is that how plastic expands? I've never tested hollow plastic cylinders.

A couple years ago when I was taking physics in college, we did the same experiment on steel and aluminum washers. We found that heat made everything expand-- including the inner diameter.

el_d

Scott, will that "Undersized freeze press" fit eventually slip?
My Brother is a Welder and I want to make him a sketch pencil that has "abuse me" written all over it and fill it with some white metel marking sticks. He likes the DIW but no way would it hold up to the abuse. I know the metal plating wont hold up too well but I just need a way to keep the pencil from coming apart. Since the HDP comes in several colors I wanted to segment the material if possible. Havent had a chance to try Matts plastic weld yet but may be next thing on my short list.....

Thanks.

Top Bottom