what glue to use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fleabit

It really is personal preference. I myself use poly glue (ie: gorilla glue). I have also used epoxy but have found that to not to always hold if you get the mixture off just a touch. Poly and epoxy require that you wait for it to cure (I always wait 24 hours to make sure of complete cure). I know of others here that have used plain old carpenters glue and many use CA with an excellerator. Try different glues and see what works for you.

Czarcastic

Unless I am using different media (combing wood with acrylic or antler) I use good ol' Tightbond. Personal preference is TB III becase of the longer open time.

Look, if you're gluing wood to wood, use a wood glue.

If your joints have gaps and stuff (which they shouldn't!), you can use an epoxy, but clean joints should only ever need wood glue. if joined correctly, the joint will be stronger than the wood. What else could you want?

Rifleman1776

As long as you are going wood to wood, good old Elmers carpenters glue will do just fine or the Titebond. This isn't a problem. It is when you start messing with synthetics that problems arise. Some plastics, like Delrin, simply won't glue to other substances.

Fordtek1

cool, I had considered reg. woodworking glue but wasn't sure how visible the glue line would be. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. If it turns out nice enough, I'll post pics. thanks, Rick

elody21

I agree with using wood glue if it is wood to wood. Wood to corian, epoxy. Corian to corian, ca glue. Any more info on that and check out the directions in a past thread for glueing corian. I have never had good luck with gorilla glue. I like a glue that does what I say for it to do. I think Gorilla glue has a mind of it's own,But for those who like it go for it! I am not saying it is bad.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Depending on what I am doing I use either TBII or CA
For laminations like this where te wood needs to be bent I use TBII
macho1.jpg

If I am doing inlays or simple segments I use CA
DCP_1731.jpg

bloodwoodflattop.jpg

Sometimes both
bentlam%20dart.JPG

I recently was wotking on an intricate glue up and chose 5 minute epoxy. Some of the laminations failed.
I don't care for epoxy as I need to get the right amount to have enough for what I am going to glue and I always wind up with too little or too mich.It may be my technique but I usually wind up with failures using epoxy but have great results with CA and TBII.
(I have tried TBIII and don't care for it's "Rubbery feel")
I am sure yellow glue would work equally as well as TBII but since I do other woodworking I like to use TBII on, I always have it on hand.
Gallon jusgs are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom