What glue for ribbon?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Hey all.
I tried my hand at a Christmas pen, but there are issues.
Seems the CA glue will not adhere to the shinny ribbon used on packages.
What is that stuff made of?:confused:
The ends kept coming loose and I'm sure with just a little handling they will again. There are multiple coats on the whole thing but when I tried to trim the ends, the ends of the ribbon just began to unwrap.:mad:

Attachments

• grn_red.jpg
    grn_red.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Have you though about trying to cast it with the ribbons glued to the tube. Glue should hold long enough to encapsulate it with PR or Alumilite. Worst case you could use a long tube then cut to length.

Dale Allen

Excellent idea JD, except that I have not yet set myself up for casting......yet!
I'll get there eventually.
One issue that I think contributed to this problem is that I did not coat the base wood before applying the ribbon. I assumed, wrongly of course, that the CA would wick around and through to the wood.
I have plenty of ribbon so I'm going to turn this away and try again. Only thing I may loose is a twist mech, which isn't a good one anyway.
And, I think I'll try some 3M spray contact adhesive. That may stick to the ribbon and wood. It will either work or I'll have a sticky mess.

plantman

Dale; Before I would try contact spray, I would go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and ask for photo mounting spray. I think it is called " 777 ". I use it to put patterns down for scroll sawing. Not as messy, and you can reposition or remove what you are gluing down. I usualy glue paper or material down with Tacky Glue or Modge Podge. Apply to wood first and than brush on a top coat. Both will dry clear. Mylar is a very slick surface and hard to glue like Teflon. Jim S

Top Bottom