What Glue? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default What Glue?

What glue do you use to cement the tubes to the drilled blanks?

I've seen CA and have seen turners say it doesn't hold up long term.. possibly to shock, changes in the wood over time, etc. I've used it but have no idea how long it holds up.

I've used 2 part epoxy.. but, if I'm doing multiple pens, the 5 minute (ha) won't stay useable for more than one pen at a time. I guess I could go to a 15 minute type.

Gorilla Glue? I haven't tried it yet.. but it is strong, foaming to fill voids, etc.

I plan on filling the tube with a plug of potato or play dough to keep the cement from getting in and having to deal with any overflow, etc.

Thoughts? In case you haven't guessed, I'm a newbie
Spinzwood is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

There are those who use any one you mentioned and love it and recommend it.

1. Gorilla Glue or polyurethane: It expands and to the uninitiated - it will move the tube out of the blank and harden - UNLESS you tape the ends to prevent it. Make your blanks about 1/8 inch longer and add something that prevents it from pushing the blank out.

2. Like you, I have 15 and 30 minute epoxy that I use when doing several. I use 5 minute when doing just one.

3. Some people have good results with thick CA. I have used it but prefer epoxy and sometimes polyurethane/Gorilla.

The brittleness of CA is the problem. Some people scrub/swipe their tubes with sandpaper to make it hold better. Rubber CA is more expensive but I found some and used it a few times and did not have any problems with it. The rubber CA is not brittle like regular CA is. (I have also used rubber epoxy on brittle wood that has a tendency to crack.

I also use plumbers putty (and others use wax or other putty as you mentioned) to prevent glue from getting into the tubes. ALWAYS clean the inside of the tubes before assembling.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 09-01-2017 at 12:51 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Hank.. Have you tried the foaming CA that fills gaps? I'm guessing if you hit it with a spritz of accelerator it would stay put.. ?

The other question I have with gluing tubes into the blanks has to do with oily woods. I have 10 Cocobolo blanks drilled.. that was a job.. Do I have to use Acetone to remove or dilute any surface oils in the hole the tube will fit into? What considerations would I have to use when choosing an adhesive for these types of wood? Considering at some time cedar along with the cocobolo.

Last edited by Spinzwood; 09-01-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehljp View Post
Rubber CA is more expensive but I found some and used it a few times and did not have any problems with it. The rubber CA is not brittle like regular CA is. (I have also used rubber epoxy on brittle wood that has a tendency to crack.
Can you go in details in regards of that"rubber" types of glues, please? I am particularly interested in how well it will hold the blank during turning. Assuming that blanks is very hard material for example "true" stone, bone, horn, fossilized materials etc. Also which brand did you use.
Thanks a lot
VotTak is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I've used epoxy since the first few pens. I, like most, started with the 5 min stuff I got from Lowe's. Eventually decided I needed more time so I could waste less. Started using Bob Industries 30 min epoxy that cures in 8 hours. Decided that may be too long. Have since gone with the 15 min stuff that cures in 2 hours. It is the set with the orange colored bottle/packaging. I've found Amazon as the best source and actually have some that should deliver today.

On a related note, I have always been a "tube scuffer." I glued up 7 pens earlier this week and decided on a whim that I wasn't going to scuff them. I know a lot of people don't and have no issues so I'm going to give it a shot.

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Keith.. I did the same.. I bought some BSI 15 min epoxy. I think it should arrive today as well. I did, however, go toe big orange and bought some acetone to 'de-oil the cocobolo.

On a whim, I also bought a Dap product called Rapidfuse. Says it sets in 30 minutes, 40% tougher than polyurethane and 2x better than super glue. Don't know if those numbers mean anything.. but, it's an all purpose bonding material.. Says it sets in 30 seconds and bonds in 30 minutes. Being it comes in a dropper bottle, I think that time frame should work.. and work well with multiple blanks at one time.

We shall see.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

The best advice I can give is to experiment with different glues & techniques and see what you like and what works best for you.

I've tried most (but certainly not all) brands of CA and several epoxies. I have settled on 2P10 medium for gluing my tubes for both acrylic & wood blanks. Works well for me, but others prefer other brands or other glues & I have no problem with that.

I also quit scuffing tubes a long time ago. Personally, I think it's an unnecessary waste of time. Again, I have no problem with those who do.

Oily woods may need to be cleaned a bit with denatured alcohol or acetone for better glue adherence (regardless of type of glue). If it's really wet, it might also be good to let it sit for a day or two then recheck the tube fit before gluing & see if it might need redrilling.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, looks lee the DAP adhesive IS a CA glue.. finger stuck together pretty fast. Label didn't say anything about that.. guess I'll have to read more carefully. Sets up FAST.. less than the 30 secs on the label.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinzwood View Post
Well, looks lee the DAP adhesive IS a CA glue.. finger stuck together pretty fast. Label didn't say anything about that.. guess I'll have to read more carefully. Sets up FAST.. less than the 30 secs on the label.
I think you forgot the "don't ask me how I know this" disclaimer

Find me on Facebook HERE
keithncsu is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

From rod building experience: For my first rod, I almost didn't get a grip in place with 5 minute epoxy. Never used it again. I used Two Ton Epoxy- great for a lot of things. I found about it from a guy who used it on golf club heads. It should hold a pen blank! It has about a 30 minute set up time. I always had two tubes on hand- JIC.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads