What epoxy for gluing tubes in blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Is there one that'll work in acrylic, wood, etc?

How fast can you turn it after gluing? I am an impatient dude on this part...

Gregory of CuttingBlanksToday Forest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgscott

If you're impatient, you better stick with CA. The best epoxy I've found is the one that PSI sells -- a 10 minutes version. I've tried lots, and it holds the best, and sets up (relatively) quickly. An hour after inserting the tubes, I can turn them.

marcruby

I stopped using CA a while ago. Too many blanks with brass tubes glued halfway in and no structural strength. If I'm in a hurry I use the 5 minute epoxy I get from Woodcraft, if I'm not I use the 24 hour stuff.

Marc

Dario

Plan ahead and glue some a few days earlier. I mostly use gorilla glue (back when I am still turning).

I use 30 minute glue when I have to or thick CA. I leave the drilled blank and tube inside the freezer a few minutes before CA gluing and it helped avoid midway stuck tubes.

VisExp

I stopped using CA a while ago. Too many blanks with brass tubes glued halfway in and no structural strength.

That sounds familair Marc :)

I use the 5 minute epoxy. I leave it at least an hour to set. I get it at Walmart. If I'm not in a hurry I'll use Polyurethane glue.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've always used the CA gel for tubes. I test fit them first, then I put the
CA in the end of the blank, run a chopstick in and out of the blank to get it
all coated, then slide in the tube and push it in just a bit shy of the edge
with the end of the chopstick. (I make the blanks a tiny bit oversized and
then sand/square it back to the right size.)

No problems so far, but if I DO happen to get any swelling between the time
I coat the inside of the blank with CA and I start putting in the tube, then
I just push the tube against the edge of the vise that is close by. The CA
gel seems to have a decent open time (as far as CA goes) unless the blank
was just drilled out a minute ago.. heat sets the CA faster. The gel is also
slippery, so the tube slides in easily if the blank is prepped correctly.

I use Devcon 2 ton expoxy (30 min. working time, 2 hour handling time). If you read the directions on the 5 min. it will say it takes 24 hours to reach full strength. I cut/drill/glue on one day and turn/finish/assemble on another day.

splinter99

I have been using the cheap Harbor Freight (86cents) quick dry epoxy..just bought another 15 packs on Friday..I can turn the pens after about 1/2 hour..
Havnt had a problem with it yet..Like any epoxy..you need to really mix it well..
I also use it to fill voids (mix with a little of pearl x pigment) fill the hole and let it set 1/2 hour..turn it down smooth..The copper pearl x works great on buckeye burl..it blends in perfectly

Overnight? Overnight?????:eek:

How can you wait that long? I want to turn them after 2 minutes!

Apparently, you guys are working at a production level. Last night I glued tubes into 6 blanks using thick CA and had one get stuck 3/4 of the way in:at-wits-end:. That was a black acrylic that I had plans for.
I'll turn a few today.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to have to switch to epoxy so I have more time to set them in. That's the idea for the longer setting epoxy, isn't it?

Gregory of AnyWayToSalvageThatBlackBlank Forest

fernhills

Try CA solvent. I get it at Woodcraft. It has saved a few CA glued wrong blanks and also my fingers upon occasion. I just let it set for a while.

Try Acetone, its a lot cheaper than a 2oz. bottle of woodcraft stuff at $9.99. You buy quart of Acetone for about the same at the box or paint store.

Rudy Vey

I use Devcon 2 ton expoxy (30 min. working time, 2 hour handling time). If you read the directions on the 5 min. it will say it takes 24 hours to reach full strength. I cut/drill/glue on one day and turn/finish/assemble on another day.

Than your instruction on the 5-Min is a different one than mine. Mine says full bond strength in one (1) hour!! It can be handled in 15 min and it rather sets fast, I think its shorter than 5 min. Just glued some pens up today, was able to glue up 5 pens with two barrels each before it got un-workable. I glued these up, then I painted the inside and the tubes of some other blanks (for another five pens) and then I turned two of the earlier glued up pens - no problem whatsoever. I do this all the time and had never had a failure. However, I had several times problems with the tubes come lose when using CA glue - in the small crevice between the tube and the blank, this stuff can be liquid for hours. Especially when the outsides ends were sprayed with accelerator - then the inside is sealed and stays liquid for quite some time. As soon as you use the barrel trimmer, you find out that the glue is still wet and not set.

jkeithrussell

Overnight? Overnight?????:eek:

How can you wait that long? I want to turn them after 2 minutes!

Apparently, you guys are working at a production level. Last night I glued tubes into 6 blanks using thick CA and had one get stuck 3/4 of the way in:at-wits-end:. That was a black acrylic that I had plans for.
I'll turn a few today.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to have to switch to epoxy so I have more time to set them in. That's the idea for the longer setting epoxy, isn't it?

Gregory of AnyWayToSalvageThatBlackBlank Forest

Don't get rid of the blank. Just add a decorative piece on to the end of the tube that is sticking out. I had this happen to a piece of antler over the weekend. About 1/4 inch of the tube was extended. No problem, just square up a piece of mesquite, drill it out, and glue it to the antler. Looks just like a centerband.

Top Bottom