What else do I need.....?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RegisG

New at this and other than lathe, chisels, and mandrels I'm not sure what I need to get off the ground. I've searched but mostly find supplies and lathes. I'm sure if I go down to Woodcrafters, they'll endeavor to load my credit card so I thought I'd ask here. Only plan on pens and perhaps small drawer pulls.
Probably going to get Jet 1221vs (but its weight is holding me back)??? And very basic chisel set.... Sand paper & micro mesh along with CA and eventually sharpening.... I did order mandrel, mandrel saver, and some pen kits.
What am I missing? Any startup tips? I know that probably in the spring I'll meet some of the local turners but, would like to begin tinkering.

Appreciate any help.

Regis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

Being new you really should consider heading over to Franklin Woodcraft Store
INTRO TO PEN TURNING Thursday, January 19, 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM, Also the end of January is the Tennessee Symposium also in Franklin.
It will probably save you much grief and frustration. Does not make much sense to start turning then go learn.

Last edited:

RegisG

Being new you really should consider heading over to Franklin Woodcraft Store
INTRO TO PEN TURNING Thursday, January 19, 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM, Also the end of January is the Tennessee Symposium also in Franklin.
It will probably save you much grief and frustration. Does not make much sense to start turning then go learn.

Great idea. I'll get in that class. I'm not really in a rush and that just makes sense.

Thanks,
Regis

Rick_G

New at this and other than lathe, chisels, and mandrels I'm not sure what I need to get off the ground. I've searched but mostly find supplies and lathes. I'm sure if I go down to Woodcrafters, they'll endeavor to load my credit card so I thought I'd ask here. Only plan on pens and perhaps small drawer pulls.
Probably going to get Jet 1221vs (but its weight is holding me back)??? And very basic chisel set.... Sand paper & micro mesh along with CA and eventually sharpening.... I did order mandrel, mandrel saver, and some pen kits.
What am I missing? Any startup tips? I know that probably in the spring I'll meet some of the local turners but, would like to begin tinkering.

Appreciate any help.

Regis

Sharpening is one of the first things you will have to learn. New gouges and skews right out of the package are not ready to use. They are almost sharp and as one of the turners I follow on utube says if it's almost sharp it will almost cut.
A cheaper set of chisels in the $50 to $100 range will do fine to start. You really don't want to learn how to sharpen on a single tool that costs that much. A good jig like the Wolverine from Oneway is nice to have as well. Once you have it set up for you it gives you a consistent bevel angle and you don't wear as much metal off the chisel when you sharpen it.

Top Bottom