What do you use to cut blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roos85

I am going to be setting up a small spot in my basement. I have been working out of my buddys garage but he moved about an hour away so I am setting my stuff up downstairs. I have been using his band saw but obviously wont have access to it anymore.

I dont really have enough room for what he has, any suggestions? What do you guys use to cut ur blanks?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

I used a hand saw and small plastic miter box until I got a band saw. It's a real pain compared to a band saw, especially with hard resin blanks, but it works, is inexpensive, and takes up no room.

Last edited:

jmbaker79

Exact same as invisableman, small miter box and handsaw, you can pick one up at HF for about 8 bucks, works just fine with a few clamps to hold a blank. Currently using a bandsaw, but the miter box doesn't sit far from the band saw just in case! Michaels arts and crafts sells a small metal miter box and razor saw for crafts... Not sure how well it would work but always thought about grabbing it as I too am working with little space!

RogerH

I used a chop saw (power mitre saw) for a year or so-its principal advantage is that it is quick. Then, I went to a band saw, which I much prefer. Much quieter and more accurate. Check Craig's list-there are tons of small band saws on there for really cheap that won't take up any more space than a mitre box.

Good luck and have fun !

David M

I have been using a harbor freight item#69438 chop saw ,I use wood blades for a 5-1/2 hand held saw they have a smaller mounting hole so it was reamed out to fit ( got the blades on close out , dewalts that was rated for high rpm ).
That and a 14 inch band saw , table saws and a 10 in miter saw - what ever is cleared out enuff to get to

Justturnin

For a while I used my vice and a cheap pull saw from HF and it was fast. This was just on wood though. I am sure Resin would be different.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I cast my most common blanks ( black and white ) in 12 x 12 x 1 inch slabs then cut them with a hand saw into quarters ( 6 x 6 x 1 ).
I then later on cut off only what I need from each quarter with a bandsaw.

Attachments

• NEW 053.jpg
    NEW 053.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 270

Jim Burr

Banned
Grizzly 0555 Bandsaw. Don't know if it merits looking at for you, but Ryobi makes a <$100 tabletop bandsaw...just push it back when your done and slide something else in place.

TerryDowning

I have used
In order from least accurate to most accurate
Table saw with miter gauge
Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Band Saw

Nobex 110 Hand Miter Saw (This is the best for segmenting, scalloping and other work that requires a high degree of accuracy) With a sharp blade it's not much slower than a power saw.

Ripping for segmenting is done on a bandsaw.

Last edited:

Wingdoctor

I use a 14" bandsaw or table saw. Even a little table-top bandsaw would work and they are cheap, even new. Any saw will work, it just depends how much you have to spend or how much manual effort you want to put into it.:)

76winger

I normally use the bandsaw attachment on my Shopsmith, but occasionally use the table saw or power mitre saw, just depends on what needs cut.

If you have no room (or budget) for any power equipment, you're going to be limited to one of the methods involving a hand saw. If you can swing just one power saw, I'd go first with a band saw for cutting pen blanks only, if you cut other stuff, a small table was might be the best single option. I prefer the bandsaw option for pen blanks just because there are simple ways to secure you small blanks while keeping you fingers out of the danger zone of the blade.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Lenny

Bandsaw

Before I had a second bandsaw, I would use a fine toothed Japanese pull saw rather than run out to the shop where the other bandsaw is. My turning area is in my basement. That works much better for me, especially in the Winter months.

Depending on the job, I use a 10" DeWalt table saw for squaring large pieces, a Powertec 9" Bandsaw or a Micro Miter Chop Saw to cut blanks to length, a Scroll Saw or a Nobex Proman Miter Saw for segments and things like Celtic Knots.

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I now use a Delta band saw. I used to us the table saw or mitre saw, but didn't like my fingers that close to the blade. Go figure!

Rick P

Band saw used to use a table top band saw, before that a table saw. IF I was outfitting a small turning shop I would go with the table top band saw again in a heart beat! Table saws and little blanks dont mix! I have a hole in the shop door and one in the wall right next to the door from blanks that got caught in the blade of my table saw./

lorbay

I cast my most common blanks ( black and white ) in 12 x 12 x 1 inch slabs then cut them with a hand saw into quarters ( 6 x 6 x 1 ).
I then later on cut off only what I need from each quarter with a bandsaw.
Now that's original, you must be welsh. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lin.

Top Bottom