What do you think I should get for sharpening?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

Hi,
I really need to sharpen my tools and was pretty set on the Grizzly Tormek knock off for $89.99 http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Grinder-Sharpener/T10097
but then read a few posts and saw this 8 in slow speed grinder at woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080939/29437/8in-Slow-Speed-Grinder.aspx
I planned on picking up the wolverine jig as well.

What do you think? I'm new to turning and sharpening and don't want to find out what I bought isn't what I really needed.
I gather from the posts I read that the Tormek knock off will give sharper tools but is not as versatile as a grinder..true or not? Will I even need a grinder?
Thanks for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

What do you think? I'm new to turning and sharpening and don't want to find out what I bought isn't what I really needed.
I gather from the posts I read that the Tormek knock off will give sharper tools but is not as versatile as a grinder..true or not? Will I even need a grinder?

James; The short answer is that yes; a grinder is handy. The wolverine jig is a good one.
Tip: Take an adhesive backed stick ruler and put a piece of it on the side of the bar opposite the clamp mechanism. When you sharpen a tool, mark the reading from the ruler on the shank of the tool. You will always be able to rest the tool to the same position.

Also take a look at this video by Captn Eddie Castelin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw5eeWvubBw

Captn Eddie has many videos and all are good to watch. He is of the "make it yourself" camp.

JimB

I have the same grinder with the Wolverine jigs and am very happy with it. You will not find a better price on a slow speed grinder with those wheels. I've never used a Tormek style system so I can't do any comparisons for you.

nativewooder

A Tormek style sharpener is relatively useless for turning gouges. It is great for carving tools and flat blades. But is difficult to use quickly on turning gouges due to the smaller radius and the necessity to actually move the handle while sharpening. This was told to me by a world-class carver and he's a pretty fair woodturner also.

turff49

I'll humbly say your carver friend probably never used a Tormek then. They are great for turning gouges and take no more time than the wolverine system. I have both, use both, and use my Lacer 600 grit sharpening hone to touch up during turning.

Jamie Fowler

I agree with truff. I do a lot of carving and turning. The best investment that I made was the Tormek. It does an amzing job of sharpening all my tools. The jigs are easy to set up. They are constant and way too easy to repeat the same angle every time. The slow speed of the wheel will never burn your tools the way any grinder will. Plus the ability to hone up an edge on the leather wheel for that quick touch up instead of taking it to the grinder every time and removing more of that metal every time when it really isn't needed.
As a matter of fact, I looked at the 8 inch grinder at woodcraft in Loveland, CO yesterday, and was a little disappointed in the grade of griding wheels that came with the machine and the amoung of vibration.
Also, not to bash Grizzly on their knock off of the Tormek because I have to physically touched or used it. But I have been very disappointed in some of the other Grizzly products that I have used.
I have had the original Tormek for 17 years, using the same grinding wheel that came with it, and have never looked back. I have shapened everything from axes, to the wifes scissors, my kitchen knives and to all my tools. Its nice to go to the leather wheel just for a quick touch up instead of grinding away more metal.
My philoshy is you get what you pay for, and in so many ways.
Just a though for you to ponder.

V/R
Jamie

watch_art

I've wondered about all these specialty grinding things, too.

Couldn't you just chuck a wheel up in your lathe and use the low speed setting (if you have it) to do your sharpening on? It would certainly save you money on a grinder - and you could use the tool rest as a well... tool rest or guide.

Maybe even make some sort of multi wheel rig that fits between head and tail stock, like a mandrel. A piece of all thread with spacers and bolts and your different wheels on it. Grind, polish, buff, whatever.

I have no experience, but just wondering.

JimB

I've wondered about all these specialty grinding things, too.

Couldn't you just chuck a wheel up in your lathe and use the low speed setting (if you have it) to do your sharpening on? It would certainly save you money on a grinder - and you could use the tool rest as a well... tool rest or guide.

Maybe even make some sort of multi wheel rig that fits between head and tail stock, like a mandrel. A piece of all thread with spacers and bolts and your different wheels on it. Grind, polish, buff, whatever.

I have no experience, but just wondering.

This would not be practical because you often need to sharpen or touch up a tool during a project. You would need to remove your project, switch to your sharpening system and then switch back.

JamesB

I have had the original Tormek for 17 years, using the same grinding wheel that came with it, and have never looked back. I have shapened everything from axes, to the wifes scissors, my kitchen knives and to all my tools. Its nice to go to the leather wheel just for a quick touch up instead of grinding away more metal.

Jamie, you've had the same wheel for 17 years?? No wonder Tormek is offering free wheels (up to 3, when the wheel wears down to 7 inches).
Can I sharpen my lawn mower blade with it?
I wonder how long the Grizzly wheels last? As for Grizz quality I remember my first scrollsaw was a Grizzly...a pain to set up, loud, and if the blade broke I had to hope I didn't get hit by the blade holder as it ricocheted around the shed and then spend time looking for it.

JamesB

OK, thanks for all your responses. I think I'm going the slow speed grinder way and try to make some jigs that I've seen all over the web. If that don't work, I'll buy the wolverine.
I would like a Tormek, but unless one of you are willing to buy me one for my birthday :biggrin: it'll have to wait. A sharpener that cost 5 times more than my Shop Fox lathe and tools combined just doesn't make economical sense to me.

randywa

Jamie, you've had the same wheel for 17 years?? No wonder Tormek is offering free wheels (up to 3, when the wheel wears down to 7 inches).
Can I sharpen my lawn mower blade with it?
I wonder how long the Grizzly wheels last? As for Grizz quality I remember my first scrollsaw was a Grizzly...a pain to set up, loud, and if the blade broke I had to hope I didn't get hit by the blade holder as it ricocheted around the shed and then spend time looking for it.

I've only had mine for about 4 months, but the stone is so soft I don't expect much more than a year from it. I do like the stone dresser though. You can change the wheel from 220 to 1000 and back again. Who'd a thunk?

GrantH

I just bought the slow speed grinder from woodcraft (on sale) and the blackhawk from Capt. Eddie. I also got a carbide tool with square and radius cutters. :) All for ~215-220 shipped.

yorkie

I did the same kind of research for sharpening as I suck at sharpening my tools; was just never my thing.

I had a slow speed grinder and the Wolverine jigs at the time but it takes off a lot of material. I did some research and eventually bought the Grizzly (Tormek knock-off) and the Tormek jigs, which fit the Grizzly.

I figured, all the Grizzly needs to do is turn the stone slowly and I would use the Tormek jigs & truing jig for accuracy, and it works perfectly. Even for someone like me who sucks at sharpening. Takes a little getting used to but works just fine for me and takes off very little material compared to a grinder.

Hope that helps.

yort81

Tormek t7

I bought the Tormek t7 in Feb of 2011.... and have never regretted it a bit. All the reviews that ive read on the knock off's were great for the first six months....then it seems it all goes to hell in a handbasket.

The Tormek has a short learning curve... and from there it's clear sailing...and let me just say...OMG are my skews, bowl gouges, spindle gouges razor SHARP!!! They hold that edge....and when i have to resharpen...it's quick, fast and in a hurry! same bevel, same sharpness EVERY time :~) (can you tell i love this thing?)

andrewleeheck

I just recently bought the WorkSharp3000 and it works great for me. This is especially significant in light of the fact that I am a complete sharpening novice. Lots of grits included (p150 through MM 4000), and the slotted disk attachment lets you see the progress as the abrasive sharpens or hones the tool. I mark over the tool edge with a Sharpie and I can literally watch it sharpen without removing the tool from the wheel! I haven't tried the Tormek or Wolverine systems, but the WS3000 is treating me very well. Good luck!

Andrew

JamesB

I've only had mine for about 4 months, but the stone is so soft I don't expect much more than a year from it. I do like the stone dresser though. You can change the wheel from 220 to 1000 and back again. Who'd a thunk?

I wonder if the Tormek stone would fit? $125 for who knows how long is better than $50+ every year. That is, if the 8 inch Tormek stone is as good as the 10 inch.

Mark

I'll humbly say your carver friend probably never used a Tormek then. They are great for turning gouges and take no more time than the wolverine system. I have both, use both, and use my Lacer 600 grit sharpening hone to touch up during turning.

I agree with truff. I do a lot of carving and turning. The best investment that I made was the Tormek. It does an amzing job of sharpening all my tools. The jigs are easy to set up. They are constant and way too easy to repeat the same angle every time. The slow speed of the wheel will never burn your tools the way any grinder will. Plus the ability to hone up an edge on the leather wheel for that quick touch up instead of taking it to the grinder every time and removing more of that metal every time when it really isn't needed.
As a matter of fact, I looked at the 8 inch grinder at woodcraft in Loveland, CO yesterday, and was a little disappointed in the grade of griding wheels that came with the machine and the amoung of vibration.
Also, not to bash Grizzly on their knock off of the Tormek because I have to physically touched or used it. But I have been very disappointed in some of the other Grizzly products that I have used.
My philoshy is you get what you pay for, and in so many ways.
Just a though for you to ponder.

V/R
Jamie

I'm on the same wagon. I have the JET w/tormek accessories unit and love it.

jd99

+1 on the wolverine jigs. Not so much the craftsman 8 inch grinder I have it attached to. It works, but I've never been able to get it to run quite true.
Ive got the same setup (Craftsman 8" grinder) and I found that the sholder on the shaft is too small for the washer to sit against and stay true, I solved the problem by machining a new washer for the motor side that has a sholder that is a close fit to the motor shaft. in other it is a washer with a counter bore that is a close fit on the shaft, and a smaller diameter that sits against the step in the shaft. the wheels now run true and don't wobble from side to side.

It was cheaper then buying a new grinder. :wink:

keithkarl2007

Whatever you get an 8" wheel is definitely better than a 6" wheel. It will less of a concave in the cutting edge and will allow more of the bevel to rub, which is of greater benefit to bowl turners rather than pen turners.

Top Bottom