What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM

Playing with some ideas this weekend. Haven't seen this one before. What do you think. Please keep in mind that I'm playing with different ideas and this is not sanded or finished, just a concept. What do you think.

Richard

2005411215659_swirl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RPM

Simple to do if you have a table saw.

Start by ripping the inlay material to the same width as the kerf of your blade (use a good blade for best results).

Next, take a scrap piece of pine about 12-18 inches long and cross cut with the angle I want in the blank (mark the line that you want in the blank and adjust miter gauge to cut that angle on the end of the pine) and cut.

Now with miter gauge at 90 degrees to blade use the pine to hold the blank using two surface tape. Clamp a block to the rip fence and adjust the fence to the proper distance from the blade so that the blade will cut the line you are after on the blank (this step is for repeatability).

Adjust the blade to cut just a little past half way through the blank. Make the cut. I should also add that you must use a square tooth blade. An alternating tooth blade will not give you a square bottom groove.

Glue a piece of the inlay material in the kerf (I use titebond).

Trim excess on band saw.

Rotate blank 90 degrees and repeat kerf cut, glue, trim, three more times.

Turn.

I hope this makes some sense. The comments about this working on a large diameter pen may stem from the test piece I turned being short and fat. The same pattern would result on a straight barrel. The only difference is that the end of the swirl would be a little less flared.

Richard

Daniel

All I can say is slick. I was just talking to my wife about the cross in lay idea for some letter openers I am getting ready to make us. now you go and leave me in the dust with this sort of stuff. anyway I can understand your explaination. it was hard to see just what was going on in the photo but now I see a series of angle cuts evenly around the blank. It does make a complicated looking design with the curve though.

wayneis

I say go for it, thats the only way that you will know. The only thing that I would do different is use a less porus grain wood. Something that will take a shine and really pop.

I think that it would look great but you'll never know unless you give it a try.

Wayne

Daniel

Richard,
Was just looking at this some more. thinking how to do same drawings or soemthign that woudl make the process clearer. I am one of the lucky ones and have a great gift in seeing thing three demensionally. makes
also thought about what this would look like with a second inlay cut 90 degrees to the first in an X pattern.

RPM

Daniel,
There are infinite variations on the theme. For example, if you steepen the angle and put inlays on each face, you obviously get double what you see there. If you then do as you suggest and go the other way, you get a lace or diamond pattern. I've been playing with this for about a week and decided to post this to get some feedback. Another alternative is to lay up layers for the inlay.
Richard

Daniel

I was thinking about just a slice off each side with a contrasting piece placed in then when it was turned you would get an oval shape that widens at each end.

RPM

I have a flight to San Francisco first thing in the morning and won't be back until late Sat. pm. I can try to do some pics on Sunday unless someone else wants to step in here.
Richard

knottyharry

Hi Richard,
I think I finally figured out what you were trying to explain in how you did the inlay.
I am working on a piece now and if it turns out, I'll put some pictures up.
Harry

nilsatcraft

Very cool idea! I love to see these types of simple alterations that really make a pen unique and original. I look forward to seeing the finished pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom