what do you think

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cabhog

A co-worker is interested in a Fp. I have not turned one and he likes the acrylic type, which I again have not turned. I was thinking about seeing if he would buy the kit and blank and I would turn it for him no charge just for practice. Does this sound like a good idea?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not if you plan on being able to sell pens for profit later. IT may come back to bite you, other people may want to know why they are being charged so much when somebody else paid less. You may end up constantly explaining yourself. They may want to know why you charge so much just to turn a piece of plastic round. Now if your just in it for the hobby/fun side and you dont care if you sell pens or not and will never change that may be a different story.

D.Oliver

I agree with Mike. Besides the real expense is the kit itself. You can get acryilc blanks to practice on for like $3.00. Extra tubes are pretty cheap as well. Buy yourself some practice blanks and do a couple and when you're confident, do the one the customer wants.

raar25

So you want to charge a co-worker? If you like this person just go ahead and do it. Personally, I would avoid selling items from my part time gig at my full time job. The boss would frown upon it. But doing him a favor so he spreads to the word to his friends and family, that sounds like good advertising.

dexter0606

So you want to charge a co-worker? If you like this person just go ahead and do it. Personally, I would avoid selling items from my part time gig at my full time job. The boss would frown upon it. But doing him a favor so he spreads to the word to his friends and family, that sounds like good advertising.

Must have some "cranky" boss :eek:

As for the OP, do as Derek suggests. Practice turning a few acrylics until you're comfortable and then turn the piece that you want. BTW, turning a fountain pen is no different than turning a rollerball or ballpoint.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Is this a business or a hobby to you? Doing it for the cost of the kit and the blank you loose money. Make it simple for your first one. Double the cost of the kit and the blank. This is your discount price for the first one, after that it is 3.5 times cost or whatever your formula will be. So if it is $25 cost tell him $50. You have glue, sandpaper, polish, power to run the equipment, the lights and the heat. This does not include your time or any equipment, tools, bushings and anything else you need to make the pen.

Top Bottom