What to do with these...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Just throw them away? At $15 a piece it would be nice to know if there is a way to get a good edge back on these carbide cutters. Has anyone tried it? Is it easy to do or is it just easier to get another cutter at $15 a piece. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Cutters.jpg
    Cutters.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

I can sharpen those for you. $5 each plus a couple bucks for return shipping. Sound reasonable? I use a diamond wheel on a tool and cutter grinder at the shop I work at.

longbeard

or don't pay $14.99 apiece for them...

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

These work great and just as good in my opinion. I use and abuse them. They work on acrylics, burl wood and tru-stone just fine with no problems.
Now if im going to turn a tru-stone blank, i do make sure i have a fresh edge, other than that i will use the crap out of one cutter. It's the only tool i use, even for going from square to round

P.S. - i use the cutters that are marked "BT" they are a radius not square

But, the ones you have can be sharpened with a diamond hone and a little water.

Last edited:

ironman123

ref:What to do with these...

I get mine from Oella Saw and Tool. For what you say you pay for 2 inserts, you can get 10. Quite a few places sell them.

Ray

sbwertz

When my cutters get too dull to turn wood or acrylic, I mount them in a separate handle just for turning stone inlay. Get's a lot more life out of them. I do a lot of turquoise infill and they work fine for that when they are too dull for wood or acrylic. By dressing them from time to time with a diamond hone, I can use them for a long time on stone.

I also buy the BT radius inserts from global tooling. $26 for a box of ten

Last edited:
I use the card size diamond sharpeners and get a renewed edge fairly fast that will last almost as long as the new ones. I have resharpened the same cutters three times so far.

redneckmedic

These work great and just as good in my opinion. I use and abuse them. They work on acrylics, burl wood and tru-stone just fine with no problems.
Now if im going to turn a tru-stone blank, i do make sure i have a fresh edge, other than that i will use the crap out of one cutter. It's the only tool i use, even for going from square to round

I must be blind, I looked everywhere for a radius "BT" and couldn't find it in the home or product page.... a little help for a dumb redneck pls :cool:

MikeL

Matthew, I just emailed the company to see what is suitable to replace the same size as the Ci2 R2. If I get a response before IAP members can respond I'll let you know.

longbeard

Click on the link above, 11th one down from the top...
John, all cutters are marked per knife sold in boxes of 10.
Only one that has red letters " knives marked BT"

Last edited:

sbwertz

I must be blind, I looked everywhere for a radius "BT" and couldn't find it in the home or product page.... a little help for a dumb redneck pls :cool:

For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads - Byrd Ref. P/N 1791212 (Priced per knife, sold in boxes of 10.) Knives marked with 'BT'

PSNCO

Are you sure the mentioned cutter will fit on a EWT mini rougher? I just checked a new cutter and it measured around 11mm. The one shown is 15mm.

After some searches here I found what I need here: http://eddiecastelin.com/cutters_only

He has the cutters for the EWT mini rougher 3 for $18 and $3 shipping. Half the price of what Woodcraft wants for the EWT replacement cutters. I can live with that.

Last edited:

MikeL

The following is the companies response to my email inquiry. I ordered already. Guess I will find out.
Their response:

I'm pretty sure this cutter has a 2" or 50mm radius on the face and the
closest thing we have has a 4" or 100mm radius. The part number for our
cutter is IC2515154-4100, $2.61 ea. Sold in boxes of 10.

15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm with a 4" radius, C-3 carbide.

ironman123

Sharon, those are the same ones I get from Oella Saw and Tool.

your ref: For "Byrd" Shelix ® Journal (Helical) Heads -- 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm - 4-edge - Radius Faces
100mm face radius - 15mm x 15mm x 2.5mm. Fits "Byrd" Shelix ® Heads

Ray

sbwertz

Are you sure the mentioned cutter will fit on a EWT mini rougher? I just checked a new cutter and it measured around 11mm. The one shown is 15mm.

After some searches here I found what I need here: Big Guy Productions -  

He has the cutters for the EWT mini rougher 3 for $18 and $3 shipping. Half the price of what Woodcraft wants for the EWT replacement cutters. I can live with that.

Yes, that is the "R4" cutter. It is the one I prefer. I don't know where you can get the R2 cutters at a reasonable price.

Sharon

PSNCO

After some searches here I found what I need here: Big Guy Productions - *

Yes, that is the "R4" cutter. It is the one I prefer. I don't know where you can get the R2 cutters at a reasonable price.

Sharon

Sharon,

Second one:
NEW! 2R2 10.7MM Radius SQUARE CUTTER (Pack of 3)

This cutter replaces another manufacturer's cutter for a small device. The cutter is square but with a slightly radiused center. It's 10.7 mm square and 1.7mm thick. Each package of three (3) cutters comes with three (3) proper sized stainless steel screws. Each order includes $3.00 for shipping to the USA.

$18.00

kovalcik

If you order them from Big Guy Productions (Capn Eddie) it is $3 shipping/ order. Order 3 cutters, $3 shipping, order 30 cutters $3 shipping.

Paypal will charge you $3 for every set of cutters you add, but he refunds the difference.

mrmartyking

Are these inserts from Global equivalent in sharpness and performance to the ones from Easy Wood? Does Global also happen to have the round one?

Top Bottom