What to do with some boring blanks??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justin_F

Hi Ive got a heap of these blanks that I purchased in a length of timber labelled "black walnut". The grain is tight but the blanks are light. They look like they will make a pretty boring pen.

I'd love to know what you guys would do to get a more impressive finished product!

Jus

Attachments

• P1040960.jpg
    P1040960.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 228
  • P1040961.jpg
    P1040961.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Maybe use for experimenting,like dying with food coloring?
I got some pic guard material and want to learn how to do it,but hate to ruin nice costly blanks so I plan on using cheap,boring blanks as "learners."

Steve

AKPenTurner

You could do some cutting apart. Here's a few pens I've done. These were done with birch with walnut.

There are SO many things you could do... whatever you can think up.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 100_2511.JPG
    100_2511.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_3215.jpg
    100_3215.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 180

ldubia

Get several different colors of boring blanks and start gluing them up. Then cut them apart and glue them differently. Keep doing this and add brass shavings in gaps, copper shavings, etc. Just cut and glue until you ave an interesting looking patchwork blank. Then drill and turn. Use plenty of CA on the blank as you turn to help prevent blowout. The results can be pretty impressive. That whaqt I do with my leftovers and boring stuff.

Andrew Arndts

Hi Ive got a heap of these blanks that I purchased in a length of timber labelled "black wallnut". The grain is tight but the blanks are light. They look like they will make a pretty boring pen.

I'd love to know what you guys would do to get a more impressive finished product!

Jus

Boring Blanks for me means I just have to break out my stash of different stains. Boring is really another form for trying something new.

IPD_Mr

Blanks like this are great for trying different segmenting, inlays, decals and on and on. The great part to this hobby is we are only limited by our imagination.

Lee K

I'd also add that wood will surprise you! One of my very early pens (2 months ago .. haha) was the same 'boring' walnut you described, but after turning, sanding, finishing ... it looks amazing.

For some reason the chatoyance really came out and the color variation made it one of my favorites ... all from a boring cutoff portion of walnut I couldnt use in the flatwork world.

PS the other 'segmenting' ideas are excellent as well, here's some that I did recently ..

Attachments

• WEB IMG_6076.jpg
    WEB IMG_6076.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 182

BSea

I just made myself a shop pencil from a somewhat ugly blank. It actually surprised me a little. I bought some of those small sketch pencils from PSI. Maybe I can keep this one for more than a day.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'd also add that wood will surprise you! One of my very early pens (2 months ago .. haha) was the same 'boring' walnut you described, but after turning, sanding, finishing ... it looks amazing.

I was going to suggest the same thing.. it could surprise you.
Sand one side to a nice finish, hit it with some mineral oil and
turn it under the light to see what you've got. You might have
nothing, or maybe you can't get to the lathe fast enough.

When the tree was first planted they planted a black walnut tree after a year or two they cut it off and grafted english walnut starts to it, because english produce the best nut, but have a poor route stock. As the tree grows the trunk stays dark and the grafts are white. thats why part is dark and part is lite

alinc100

One thing I would consider is ebonizing the walnut to a rich,dark black color after turning to shape.You can dissolve steel wool in vinegar and it will react with the tannins in the walnut and change the color.
The pen below has a lower end made of ebonized walnut.You could also experiment with cutting,segmenting,inlays,etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0053a (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0053a (Medium).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0060a (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0060a (Medium).jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 82

KenV

1. Make freedom pens for the troops -- great practice and with Smitty's offer on euros you can branch out. Try different approaches and styles.

2. Use these as skill builders -- make runs of 10 or so pens at a time and look and think through how you do the work. Try to make super sure your tools are scary sharp, add curves, try things.

3. put them (with perhaps one or two better blanks) in a small flat rate box and offer it for free to new turners on the site.

4. Make contact with a local school that has lathes or your local turning club for teaching pen making to newer turners.

5. Practice tool techniques -- captive rings, beads, make ornament finials.

Top Bottom