What to do with a mesquite burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skip_Evans

I have a mesquite burl about 18 diameter and about 8 inches high. I am trying to decide on how to cut it up. I thought I would get your ideas.
Help!!

1_Burl_two.jpg

1_Burl_one.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
No. Send it to me instead. Hayseedboy will just use it to smoke some ribs.

I turned a piece of mesquite last night for the first time and loved it. Where can I get more.
Dave

Gagler

Skip-

You don't have to send it to anyone, as that would cost you money. Since I am just up the road from you, I will be more than happy to come take it off your hands at my expense.

It looks like you can get 4 good bowl blanks out of it; judging from your picture at the 9, 11, 1, and 3 o'clock positions form the pith; that crack going up to the 12 o'clock position looks problematic. Everything else would make some great pen or bottle stopper blanks. Talking about bowl blanks on a pen turning site is probably taboo, but mesquite burl bowls look really outstanding in my opinion as do the pen blanks.

The last batch of mesquite I cut up I also saved up the sawdust - went great for the smoker!

Good looking piece of wood, and looking forward to seeing what you make out of it.

My two cents-

Michael

Dario

It looks tricky but as Michael said...follow the natural cracks/crevices if you can when cutting.

Burl of any kind is a fast way to become famous here...as you probably learned already. lol :wink:

Good find!!!

Michael, nope it is not taboo to talk bowl blanks here :biggrin:

markgum

Skip-

You don't have to send it to anyone, as that would cost you money. Since I am just up the road from you, I will be more than happy to come take it off your hands at my expense.

It looks like you can get 4 good bowl blanks out of it; judging from your picture at the 9, 11, 1, and 3 o'clock positions form the pith; that crack going up to the 12 o'clock position looks problematic. Everything else would make some great pen or bottle stopper blanks. Talking about bowl blanks on a pen turning site is probably taboo, but mesquite burl bowls look really outstanding in my opinion as do the pen blanks.

The last batch of mesquite I cut up I also saved up the sawdust - went great for the smoker!

Good looking piece of wood, and looking forward to seeing what you make out of it.

My two cents-

Michael

there is no problem with the crack. It is a design opportunity.... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom