What to do?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaw

I just started using epoxy instead of CA. My first attempt I did not plug the ends of the tubes. What a mess spent hours trying to clean the tubes out. Next attempt Used a paste wax to seal the ends.
Did the job but had a waxy resude that had to be cleaned up.

Any ideas??? Putty,,,etc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I use bees wax sheet from Mr. Bill to seal my tubes. I used to use plumbers putty before that but it is a little messy.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ashaw
<br />I just started using epoxy instead of CA. My first attempt I did not plug the ends of the tubes. What a mess spent hours trying to clean the tubes out. Next attempt Used a paste wax to seal the ends.
Did the job but had a waxy resude that had to be cleaned up.

Any ideas??? Putty,,,etc

I usually just clean the tubes with my pen mill, it's basically a drill on the end. Just now did my first plugging with wax. Used pure beeswax. Shop kinda cold today so the b'wax was hard. I have a mix made for another purpose that is softer, will use that in future.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I use regular canning paraffin.
A couple of scrapeswith the end of the tube,place it on a hard surface and tamp it down to pack.
It's cheap, readily available,and I can put enough in the tube and extrude it out so it acts a depth gauge.

Gary Max

I am in the same group as Mike----the first order I made to AS---Bill gave me a sheet of wax---then I bought a couple---Heck now I buy them 20 at a time---I am hooked--they area must have.

KenV

I drilled a piece of ultra high molecular density polyethylene with a counter sink to make a tapered hole. Pushes the tubes into the was even on cold days and never causes pain. Plugging both ends makes for easier post glue preparation.....

And there is always the potato or carrot slice....

ograywolf

You can use acetone to clean the tubes before the epoxy sets. I use gun cleaning patches. If it has set you can usually get most of it out with a gun cleaning kit brush dipped in acetone. Pretend you're cleaning a shotgun. Wear a chemical filter face mask if you don't have really good ventilation.

Dave

TomServo

Epoxy in the tubes is very easy to deal with - clean it out while it's still rubbery with a sharp knife. It'll peel right off the brass in one piece. You can also use DNA to clean up most epoxies.. safer than acetone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom