What did I do wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Decided to try some soapstone. Picked up a 1/2" thick slab at a local craft store. Cut a blank 1/2x1/2x4 to make a key chain. Figured I would start small. Stuff cut like butter on the bandsaw. Drilled just as easy. Put it on the lathe and turned it down with no problems. it was pretty smooth at this point but sanded very lightly with 320 and 400. Looked great at this point.

Started micromesh. Got to the third sheet and one end just disintegrated...way beyond repair. I wasn't applying much pressure. I don't understand what happened. I figured once I had it turned I was home free.....NOT !

Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong?

Then my other question is: How durable is this stuff. Assuming I get one completed. Is it going to break if dropped?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

Decided to try some soapstone. Picked up a 1/2" thick slab at a local craft store. Cut a blank 1/2x1/2x4 to make a key chain. Figured I would start small. Stuff cut like butter on the bandsaw. Drilled just as easy. Put it on the lathe and turned it down with no problems. it was pretty smooth at this point but sanded very lightly with 320 and 400. Looked great at this point.

Started micromesh. Got to the third sheet and one end just disintegrated...way beyond repair. I wasn't applying much pressure. I don't understand what happened. I figured once I had it turned I was home free.....NOT !

Anyone have any ideas on what went wrong?

Then my other question is: How durable is this stuff. Assuming I get one completed. Is it going to break if dropped?

Hard to say why it disintegrated because there are so many different types of soapstone.
I would guess that craft store soapstone may not be the best. Here is a link to my soapstone source www.stonesculptorssupplies.com
The soapstone pens that I do are sanded to 600 and then get several coats of CA and buffed. My carry pen is an Egyptian soapstone Sedona and it has been dropped several times with no major damage just some minor dings. I wouldn't want to drop it on a concrete floor though.

Brooks803

Did you wet sand with mm? All I could think of is if you did the water might have had an adverse effect on the stone. Maybe dry sand and do a CA finish.

Old Lar

I have used soapstone that is very soft and treat it like a piece of punky wood. I use ca on it when it gets down near the bushings and then you can treat it like any other material.
I also have some that is so hard I should use a metal lathe on it, but have made a few pens using a Woodchuck and 40 or 60 grit sandpaper. Very pretty, but not much fun.

Top Bottom