What color to paint tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmanship

IMHO, I'd pick the white. I have done similar colours & the white makes the blank "pop". Also, I paint the inside of the blank after drilling. I use a Q-Tip dipped in the paint to accomplish this.........

Make sure you post a pic of the finished pen,
good luck,
Tim

darcisowers

I'd also pick white, and highly recommend painting in the blank instead of (or in addition to) the tube. With paint just on the tube, if you use a very transparent blank, you can still get "air bubbles". Not pretty. (unless that's the look you are going for!)

:eek:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Kevin,
No offense meant, but if you have not turned a lot of plastics, order two of those blanks--one for practice, second one for a pen.

Andrew Arndts

I being an acrylic... well I have never turned one would have to say is White would be good. Yet part of me says go with Silver. or a Chrome Testors paint.

and painting the inside of the blank after you drill it, is something that I understand is a proper thing.

ldb2000

I have done several of those blanks (my wife has purple problems) and they are quite opaque but as they thin at the ends they will show any lighter colors and if they thicken in the center you will see the change towards the ends . I would advise a dark color so the blank stays the same color from end to end , Black or Purple and paint the holes not just the tubes . As Ed said get an extra or two , they are Polyester resin (PR) and if you haven't done them before can be chipy and kinda tough to turn cleanly . It is a beautiful blank when done and well worth the trouble .

Polarys425

Sounds as though white, painting both tube and inside the blank.....

Should i opt for epoxy as opposed to CA on account of the paint? Or does it not make a difference?

G1Pens

I made a European/Designer with that same blank and did not paint the tubes as I didn't know better. The European leaves a good bit of the blank material on the tube, but even so you can see a hint of the tube in the white/cream areas. If I did it again, I would paint the tubes white.

jttheclockman

If you bought 2 you may want to try both ways. Paint one white and one black or purple and then spin them and see which you like best. Everyone has different tastes and every blank takes on different looks when spun. All you would be is out a couple bucks and a tube. You could always sell it or give it away. Never a loss.

As far as glue goes I am strictly an epoxy guy so that is my vote on that.

mick

Kevin altho white is a safe bet on most pens, a lot depends on what style pen you're creating. A good example is a Churchill. The material is so thin that it's been my experience that if you painted that particular blank white you'd end up with a pen with a very "bright" purple very different from what you started with. One the othe ahnd if you are making a pen which the upper and lower barrel vary greatly in thickness you'll see a undesirable difference in color of the two halves.
My recommendation would be a purple as close to the color of the blank as possible. I have some purple metallic craft paint I use for blanks of that color.
Just my two cents worth...you might get more or less out of it...lol

Scollins

Does Truestone need to be painted like poly resin as well? Haven't turned it yet but am going to give it a try soon. Not sure how translucent it is when it is done.
Thank you

mick

Glue with epoxy, CA will "melt" the paint cause it to curl up. As I understand it.

I know my experiences aren't the know-all be-all when it comes to painting blanks but I've rarely had problems with acrylic craft paints or spray paint for that matter curling up or dissolving when using CA. I think one reason may be I let everything I paint cure overnight. Another reason could be that the procedure I use when gluing in tubes uses minimal twisting or in and out movement of the tube. YMMVV

jimbob91577

IMO - White Paint, Epoxy to glue. I tint the epoxy with the paint, but I make sure to use acrylic paints and not oil paints.

Skotty

Hey Kevin,
No offense meant, but if you have not turned a lot of plastics, order two of those blanks--one for practice, second one for a pen.

2nd that one!Took 3 blanks to get a bubblegum blank done and that was after painting the inside white.

Top Bottom