What color do you paint your tubes? Lot's of questions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

underdog

After turning a semi-translucent blank last night, and failing to have painted the tube, I realize the value of doing so...

But then, I wondered... what color should I paint the tubes? What effects does it have?

I assume the following:
If I paint it black, then it will darken the base color and transparent resin will look black. If I paint it white, then it will brighten the base color and transparent resin will look white.

Does glossy or flat paint make any difference whatsoever?

And if you've painted the tube another color, did you have any problems or successes you can point out?

And what about painting the inside of the blank? Do you recommend this practice more than the painting the tube?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I'm using Rustoleum Hi temp black and white depending on the depth of base I'm looking for. Definitely one of those "personal preference" issues.

Chasper

I always paint the inside of the blank in a color that matches the blank. I never paint the tubes.

nativewooder

Someone here came up with the idea of using a dowel smaller than whatever tube your kit uses, and then painting sections equal to the tube length in different colors so you could insert it into the drilled blank to see what effect the different colors would have.

pianomanpj

As Gerry said, paint the inside of the blank. If you only paint the tube, than it can be all too easy to see the glue in transparent sections. Some folks paint the tube and dye their glue as well. I've not had good results with painting BOTH the tubes and blanks; there just isn't enough room for two layers of paint. I usually color my tubes with colored Sharpies and paint the inside of the blanks. I then use untinted epoxy to glue them in.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I agree on painting the inside of the blank. This eliminates seeing the glue. If you just paint the tube you'll be able to see the glue lines. I just paint the blank with thestors and color the tube with a sharpie marker.

SCR0LL3R

As Gerry said, paint the inside of the blank. If you only paint the tube, than it can be all too easy to see the glue in transparent sections. Some folks paint the tube and dye their glue as well. I've not had good results with painting BOTH the tubes and blanks; there just isn't enough room for two layers of paint. I usually color my tubes with colored Sharpies and paint the inside of the blanks. I then use untinted epoxy to glue them in.

I found this out the hard way just a couple days ago. Painting the tube alone isn't good enough. I had started out painting both the tube and the inside but had trouble fitting them together as you said. Of course, I then made the wrong choice by only painting the tube. This made the glue quite visible on a thin walled pen. Unfortunately I had prepared several blanks that way.

Some people paint the tube/blank in a different color to change the look of the blank... I wouldn't expect this to work very well unless it's on a pen that is the same thickness from one end to the other, otherwise you will get a different color where the blank material is thinner. To me it's almost defeating the purpose of painting in the first place.

underdog

Someone here came up with the idea of using a dowel smaller than whatever tube your kit uses, and then painting sections equal to the tube length in different colors so you could insert it into the drilled blank to see what effect the different colors would have.

Wouldn't that require having turned and polished the blank enough to see through? :confused:

pianomanpj

Wouldn't that require having turned and polished the blank enough to see through? :confused:

Take the cut-off left from the blank and turn it down. There's usually not much left, but enough to give you an idea.

mick

Got a related FYI
I was gluing up some silver metal flake blank and got impatient. Mixed black Pearl-Ex into epoxy Instead of painting the inside of the blank. The epoxy looked great so I coated the inside of the blank and dabbed some on the tube, twisted and turned and really worked the epoxy into everything. Set up nicely and I was turning a few minutes later. It looked great....in all but a couple of placed. I figure the thickness of the glue wasn't enough to make it opaque and you can see the brass. Luckily it's totally random so it looks as if it was planned that way. Long story short, IF IN DOUBT PAINT BOTH TUBE AND BLANK!

snyiper

I paint the tube say black and when i mix the epoxy I put a shot of paint in it to color it as well. This seems to work out well using Monty's epoxy.

underdog

Does paint affect the bond between the blank and the tube? I would think so...

A painter friend of mine says that glossy paint doesn't have the (flat) fillers in it, so the bond is better....

Don't know that applies here, but that's something I've wondered about.

SteveG

On some blanks, the use of metallic paint will be an improvement since the metallic will bounce or reflect both color and more light back...a real enhancement on many translucent blanks. Almost makes 'em glow! (I paint both tube and blank, and chose a drill size or file out the blank to allow for the extra thickness.)

Rick P

I sometimes match the color to the blank, other times I use a totally diferent color.........painting the inside of a red blank blue produces a funky purple glow. I have even painted the inside of the blank in several colors producing a more intense swirl. 90% of the time I match color to color.

Frankly it's like any other artistic process and up to the individual. I like to experiment and get effects I wasn't expecting.......others want more control.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Does paint affect the bond between the blank and the tube? I would think so...

A painter friend of mine says that glossy paint doesn't have the (flat) fillers in it, so the bond is better....

Don't know that applies here, but that's something I've wondered about.

The bond between tube and blank doesn`t have to be rock solid , only strong enough to mechanically resist the turning force , and heat resistant enough to withstand any heat build up from turning . That said , the bond may be either chemical , mechanical or a blend of both . I would guess that CA , epoxy and poyurethane glues are all a bit different , with the polyurethane (Gorilla type) the most mechanical because it is the best for gap filling . It is also possible that each reacts slightly differently to different paints .

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There are many opinions with respect to painting tubes and/or blanks, some differing, some identical. None are more correct than any other, whatever works for you!

Here's what works for me.

I generally paint the tube with a metallic acrylic paint which closely matches the colour of the blank I happen to be going to turn. I have never painted a blank since I use 2 part epoxy to glue the tube to the blank which dries clear, There is never any danger of seeing the glue through the thinner parts of the blank! If in fact, I can see through the blank, it is the painted tube that matches closely to the blank that I see!:)

TomS

I try to paint inside the blank with the base color of the blank itself. You can use any color, and get some very different effects. But matching the predominant color of the blank always works well. White and silver cover alot of them. I use testors model paint. Let that dry for 24 hours, and epoxy the tube. Let that dry 24 hours. I've not had a problem with that routine.
Tom

SCR0LL3R

There are many opinions with respect to painting tubes and/or blanks, some differing, some identical. None are more correct than any other, whatever works for you!

Here's what works for me.

I generally paint the tube with a metallic acrylic paint which closely matches the colour of the blank I happen to be going to turn. I have never painted a blank since I use 2 part epoxy to glue the tube to the blank which dries clear, There is never any danger of seeing the glue through the thinner parts of the blank! If in fact, I can see through the blank, it is the painted tube that matches closely to the blank that I see!:)

I used 2 part epoxy but the problem is that I didn't perfectly cover the tube with glue which was quite evident when the blank was turned down since the blank wasn't painted. You could easily see the spots that didn't have epoxy.

76winger

As far as color choice, I've followed what was mentioned in another thread and tried the painted-dowel method to get a "rough idea" of what to expect and determine which color I like the best for the specific application.

Depending on the translucency of the blank in hand, the results are going to vary widely and cutting a small piece to the thickness of the finished body should help in foreseeing about what you're going to end up with.

I also learned on one that was "really transparent" that I should have sanded the inside before painting, as the drill marks showed and wasn't too attractive.

tim self

sanding the inside!!!

As we all know, sometime you get the marks from the drill bit inside the blank and painting is a must. When will this happen, who knows. I've taken a piece of brass tube approx 4" long, glued abranet about 3" down the tube and long enough to wrap around. Only has to be long enough to go around the tube about 1.5 times. Place it in my DP and sand the inside of the blank. Eliminates any drill marks and allows me enough space for 2 coats of paint. Put a piece of 1/4" dowel to keep the tube form collapsing.

As far as paint. I normally use automotive touch up, almost all have some metal flake in them. Check your local stores for clearance cans. Or I use Krylon.

YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom