What can I do with a dying tree?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ginagreenlee

My brother has a huge tree in front of his house. I think it's a maple. It is more than 75% dead. I'm wondering what I would need to do to prepare any cuttings for turning?
Newbie looking for advice.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

Type of tree

My brother has a huge tree in front of his house. I think it's a maple. It is more than 75% dead. I'm wondering what I would need to do to prepare any cuttings for turning?
Thanks

First, google maple leaves and find out what kind of maple it is as Silver Maple, which blankets the South of the US, is mostly worthless. Any of the other large maples are like gold to woodworkers.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks

What will it hit, if it falls?

I had a rotting tree, which I ignored until it fell on the house, this past winter. I was lucky, did very little damage, but alerted me to look at the trees in a new light--prospective house destruction--that sucker was HEAVY!! Even though the trunk was eaten through (carpenter ants), the branches were 8" in diameter and dangerous.

Just a FWIW, taking off some of the branches could be a GREAT way to limit the chance of the tree falling.

TurtleTom

To answer your question, I always cut the tree into 2 or 3 ft lengths, split it down the middle, and cut into the lengths and sizes I think I'll use. I'll make some into small lumber for dovetail boxes and the rest for turned material. For pens I nearly always cut on a 30 degree diagonal as straight cut is pretty boring unless it's for segmenting.
It will take a while to dry, if that is your intention, but not nearly so long as it would if your left it in large pieces. I bring smaller pieces inside the house in the winter so they will dry quickly. Get a moisture meter, you'll need it.
The department of agriculture even says silver leaf maple is good for cabinets and turning. Much of the "Birds Eye Maple" you'll see is actually Silver Leaf Maple heartwood. Didn't know that till today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom