What brand and set time of epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I was wondering what brand and set time of epoxy you folks are using to glue the brass tubes in your blanks? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I picked up the loctite brand 5 min at lowes.

I will buy it again.

I may additionally pick up some sort of 15 min for longer work times.

I like to glue up a bunch of blanks at once and you can only do so many before it starts to set up.

edstreet

I was wondering what brand and set time of epoxy you folks are using to glue the brass tubes in your blanks? Thanks

The only 'correct' answer to this question is 'depends on what your blank material is and how much upkeep is needed over time.'

Truth is there is no single 'best' glue/epoxy for everything and multiples should be used as needed.

edstreet

For max strength ...

For wood handle scales to metal:
Recommended:
Gorilla Glue beat out every other adhesive in every test
Loctite E-120hp
K&G epoxy
Golf shafting epoxy by Golfsmith
Acraglass

Avoid:
Anaerobic curing adhesives
JB Weld

For metal to metal
Recommended:
Loctite Speedbonder 324
JB Weld
PC7

Avoid:
Any CA's, ie superglues.

For metal to man made materials (ie, G10, micarta, etc)
Recommended: Loctite 324 Speedbonder or any of the overall use adhesives.

For overall use:
Loctite E-120hp
K&G Epoxy
Golfsmith Golf shafting epoxy
Acraglass (Acraweld is different and was not tested. Acragel was tested and failed)

Last edited:
I have used several different 5 minute epoxies and I cannot tell any difference in hold power or set time so I usually buy the least expensive at the time I need it. 5 minute is good for gluing tubes but you can only do two tubes at a time before it starts setting up. Another thing I have found is when I mix acrylic paint in the epoxy it seems to set faster.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the input. Is the Loctite from Lowes and 2 bottle set or the kind in a syringe. I used some gorilla epoxy to glue the tube in the blanks I'm working on. It a syringe type, I don't like the way the epoxy keeps coming out when to stop pushing. Does and one know what the shelf like is on epoxy?

NittanyLion

Dan,

Not sure on the shelf life, but definately keep it in the fridge. It lasts much longer. Mine is right next to the 4 bottles of CA, Ketchup, Mustard, and relish. My wife just loves it......

Dan Masshardt

Thanks for all the input. Is the Loctite from Lowes and 2 bottle set or the kind in a syringe. I used some gorilla epoxy to glue the tube in the blanks I'm working on. It a syringe type, I don't like the way the epoxy keeps coming out when to stop pushing. Does and one know what the shelf like is on epoxy?

Two separate bottles. Isn't the syringe more for single use? Seems to me the mix in the tip would harden and make repeat use difficult?

I find that when it's colder it's harder to flow. No probs with this Steve? Or do you let it warm back up before use?

08K.80

I use the Gorilla epoxy. When I finish squirting out what I need, I pull back on the plunger a little bit. That stops any additional flow. Store it with the tip up, that keeps the little air bubble at the tip.
This works for me.:wink:

Dave Turner

I use the 5 minute epoxy from Harbor Freight. They sometimes have it on sale for $0.99 and I stock up. I like the fact that there is only enough in each package to do about 3 or 4 pens, so I am always using freshly opened tubes. It's a little cheaper than the Loctite from Lowes and has worked great for me for over 5 years. This reminds me that I have to buy more the next time I'm at Harbor Freight.

Last edited:

LanceD

I've been using various epoxies for over 20 years and I've come to the conclusion that there really is no certain shelf life on epoxy. I buy it by the gallon and and have one gallon that I use to glue certain things that's four years old and still holds as strong as when new. Putting it in the refrigerator has nothing to do with shelf life.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I use Double Bubble Epoxy. If I need something almost colorless I use the black label, which has a 45 min work time and is hard in 4 hours. Otherwise I use the red label, which has a 3-5 min work time and is hard in 30 min. One pack is enough to do about 3 tubes.

Jim Burr

Banned
The best answer is "Whatever you've tried and worked for you" since everything from humidity, material, how thick you put it on and shelf life play into it. To stop the plunger leak on syringe type applicators, pull back on the plunger.

Last edited:

LagniappeRob

I've been a fan of Bob Smith Industries for both epoxies and CA's. They manufacturer for many other brands: metra, micro-mark, hobbylinc -- MANY of the better hobby (models, radio-control, rocketry,etc.) brands are BSI products with a label stuck on it.

I started using BSI long before turning my 1st pen and know it works well, so I stuck with it. I think you'll find it doesn't matter as much with epoxy as it does with CA.

I keep 5, 15 and 30 minute on hand (full strength in 1 hour, 2 hours, and 24 hours respectively).

Donovan

I just get the 5 minutes epoxy from the hobby shop in 50 or 100ml bottles depending on the amount of pens that I have to make. Lucky the epoxy is used up before the expiry date lol

Donovan

bgio13

DAN- I use PSI 15-min. epoxy. I like the time because I can do tubes for 4 double tube pens.

+1 on PSI epoxy. I also glue multiple tubes in and the 5 minute epoxy would start to harden before I had all the tubes in. Waiting is no problem as I glue on one day and turn the next. I also like that you can tint the epoxy with a little paint when gluing acrylic blanks that have been reverse painted.

Bill

jmbaker79

I use the two part stick fast epoxy. I grab it from Klingspore when I am around. It is a 5 minute epoxy, but I usually turn them the next day, have not had any issues with this product. Cant recall the cost but its around $15maybe, and I only use it for glueing tubes, and segments, and it last forever.

Top Bottom