What brand of paint do you use to reverse paint your blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What brands of paint do you use to reverse paint your blanks?

• Ceramcoat

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Apple Barrel

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Testors, Acrylic

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Testors, Enamel

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Rustoleum

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Other, Acrylic

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Other, Enamel

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Something Else!

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

pianomanpj

There are numerous posts extolling the virtues of reverse painting one's non-wood blanks before gluing in the tubes. (And yes: I reverse paint ALL mine!:biggrin:) And, just like anything else, the different brands of paint used and methods of application range GREATLY!

What brands work best for you?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I've been using whatever I have available. In some cases it's leftover spray acrylic and Rustoleum and in other cases it's old leftover bottles of Testors model paint.

warreng8170

There's a hobby shop right down the street from my office, so I always pick up up a bottle of Testors when I need a new color. I have a pretty good rainbow going now. They seem to work well and one bottle does a lot of blanks.

hilltopper46

I use cheap spray enamel to paint the inside of the blanks. Or, at least, that is my favorite. Recently my wife bought be a selection of nail polish at the dollar store in some of the primary colors. I have used that for a couple sets of tubes, but I prefer a spray can for painting the inside of the blanks.

When I use spray enamel, If I'm not in a hurry, I wait until I can no longer smell 'wet paint' when I place the blank near my nose, before using epoxy to glue the tubes in.

Lenny

Delta Creamcote was recommended to me by Andy (PenMan1) who had it recommended to him by Curtis. I now use it exclusively and haven't had any of the problems I had previously. It gets my vote!

Brooks803

I also voted for ceramcoat! That's what I've been using lately in my vintage blanks. I've used testers as well as some enamels, but have had my best results with ceramcoat

PenMan1

Ceramcote, almost exclusively. I just got a new powder coating system and will be experimenting with powder coating the tubes with various "reverse" paints as I can't imagine powder coat sticking to wood or resin.

Bree

Testors and Model Maker Enamels. I like Model Maker best but Testors is EZ to find and buy.
:cool::cool::cool:

BSea

I've used Testors enamels, another enamel sold at hobby town (I think that's the place) called Colors by Boyd. And cheap acrylic paints from Michaels. I put the blank in front of a small fan, then test with a q-tip to make sure it's dry before gluing the tube. Just recently, I started sanding the inside of the tubes, and that has really helped.

Chasper

Recently switched from Testors enamel to Creamcoat. I was happy with Testors enamel but Creamcoat is in about 100,000 more colors. There are 3-4 colors of Testors I'll continue to use.

Top Bottom