What a Blank really looks like????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wfsteadman

So I have gotten some acrylic blanks and turned them and they turned good, but I can't really tell what the pen will look like until it is turned round. So what I might have wanted to be the top of a cigar pen was tubed for the bottom of the cigar pen etc.... Is there a way to get a better glimpse of what a blank will look like? Does anyone turn them to round before you cut them and drill them for tubes? If so, what method do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I nearly always turn my blank round before cutting.

Trouble is, you can't turn down to size and still have enough material to provide strength for drilling.

If you are extremely careful and turn very accurately you can turn down to a size about 3mm bigger in radius than the brass tube. That should give you a pretty good idea about which end to make the cap and still leave enough strength for drilling.

I do all my drilling on the lathe (a metal-working lathe).

mikeschn

I would say, round off the blank, you'll get a pretty good idea what it could look like...

Mike...

Last edited by a moderator:

qquake

I use my imagination and take my chances. Often, I'm pleasantly surprised. Other times, not so much. But that's part of the fun.

More4dan

I turn the entire blank round between centers before cutting also. I does give you a better peek at what is inside.

Sappheiros

I've never really done that, but it sounds like a good idea in theory. I like what Jim said, just use one's imagination and take a chance. Making turning decisions can take too long if you leave yourself open to changing your mind and rethinking things. Take confidence in your original decision and see how things 'turn' out! :)

TonyL

That is one of the reasons that I like the SOYP forum. There are some blanks and finishes that I would have never tried had I not see them on the SOYP site. I do like the surprise too though.
You can round it, then hit it was some Novus 3, Meguiars 105, or any other high cutting polish to get an approximate idea.

Top Bottom