What is best size to cut blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

Lately, a local wood shop has been giving me their cut offs. Lots of walnut, cypress, santos mahogany, and Brazilian cherry. All are 1 1/4 inches thick. When I cut them to pen blank size, what is the best size to cut? I did a few at 1 1/4 x1 1/4 x 6 inches and it seems like a waste of materials (and takes longer on the lathe).I don't like the 5/8 inch size. Any suggestions on a good size and length for all pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Edward, because of the different size pens I make, I don't cut a lot of blanks ahead of time. Right now I am making slimlines, so I have cut and drilled about 40 sets of blanks. For these I cut them to 5/8" by 4-1/2" to start with.

For larger pens mostly I cut to 3/4" since that is the thickness of a lot of stock I have on hand.

I think the reason why dealers offer most blanks in the 3/4" size is that it is simpler for them. In the past a lot of blanks were offered at 5/8" sq.

By the way, when I cut 3/4 x 1-1/2" stock to make blanks, I usually start by sawing them across the 1-1/2" width. This leaves me with a piece of about 1/8" x 1-1/2" which can be used to make boxes.

Efletche

For some of the longer pieces, I've set them aside for other project, but most are 10 1/2 inches long or angle cut offs and I want to be able to store or ship to people. I just have several large piles of this stuff on the floor, I can't move around my garage easily. May be putting alot of this up for trade if there is an interest in Walnut, Brazilian cherry, and australian cypress.

Efletche

Okay Bill. I have some cut with the grain and some cross grain. Seems like each board has different patterns, some dark and some light. Email me at edward.fletcher@halifax.org and we can work out a deal. I'm leaving for the day, but can check my email at home. Most of the Australian cypress is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 5 1/2-6 inches (give or take an 1/8 inch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom