What to allow for finish thickness...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff G

Hi All
I asked this question in the caliper thread but thought it would be a good one on its own...

What do you allow in terms of 'over-sizing' your work before sanding?

Some one had suggested this...
What seems to work for me is I measure the pen fitting add 2 thou. and sand with 220 or 240 grit to that. Then light sanding with 320 and 600 add my CA finish and 99% of the time am right on the money

And I was curious if this is about what others are figuring for "oversizing" before sanding to final size AND keeping in mind the thickness of the ca finish?...

Thanks as usual...
JeffG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Your over thinking it Jeff. If the wood is in bad shape after turning I leave a lot and rough sand to within a hairs breadth of finished. If the skew left a nearly perfect finish then I start at a hairs breadth.

Shannon

I turn to as close as I can to the bushings. Then probably sand below and CA back up. I have never found the pen kits to actually be that close in tolerance to worry about hundredths of an inch.

toddlajoie

When I turn for CA finishes, I turn the wood with a skew down to about .005 over the kit measurements (turning between centers, I have some TBC bushings and use them only for rough sizing, all final cutting and sanding is done without bushings between 60 deg centers.) For most woods I go strait from the skew to a bit of sanding with 400, 800, and 1200 grit paper, this usually brings me withing .001 or 2 of the kit, (on REALLY hard woods I'll use 320, and rarely 220 grit paper first, but that's only on the really hard stuff that 400 grit does not remove a measurable amount from... Really soft woods may only get the 800 grit), 2 coats of thin CA, 4-5 coats of Medium CA, measure again, usually falls around .008 or .009 over kit, Wet sand with 800 till all the pits are gone, Wet 1200, measure again, usually .005 to 6, Wet Micromesh, plastic polish, Ren Wax, Don't usually measure at the end, but I have a few times, and it's usually .004 or 5 over the kit...

But that's just me and my A-retentive nature.... It's by no means a fast process this way, lots of stopping to measure, but it works for me, and I'm in no rush...

Last edited:

U-Turn

+1 with Shannon. I turn to the bushings and it seems by the time l sand and finish the CA application it always is a good fit.

Jeff G

yeah i do that sometimes..over think it i mean...but more likely its underthunk it ...if you know what i mean..
Thanks for the help every one.
I turned a beaut today and may post it now that i have found out yo can simply put a pen on the scanner bed and it comes out pretty well.
Love this board...
Jeff G

azamiryou

I cut to the size of the fittings, then sand as little as possible, then do my CA finish. I typically end up a few thou larger than the fittings, which is what I prefer.

Top Bottom