What is acceptable for a "good" refill insert?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

So far I have been disappointed with a lot of the refills for cross, parkers, and rollerballs-- specifically the ones included with the kits.

My first kit with a Hauser rollerball refill skips more than it should, as does one of the two Schmidt rollerball refills that I carry around. With the price we charge for a rollerball pen, I do NOT EVER want a customer to pay that much to have a pen that comes with a bum refill. I tried once buying a Parker-brand Rollerball but it wouldn't fit (and I ruined them trying to make them fit).

As far as the Cross-style refills, I solved that problem by rarely turning a cross-refill using pen.

The Parkers have been the best ratio so far, but I'd still say a solid one in 8-10 pens comes with a bad refill that starts skipping (yes I do remove the stuff on the ballpoint before using). I will likely try the Schmidt or name brand Parker refills. I love Parker gels but they are not indelible (ie, they are not waterproof) which rules them out for some of my customers.

What brand rollerballs will fit our pens (Gents, Havanas, etc..)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bonefish

The Pilot G2 fits all the rollerballs I have made, but I have never tried them in a Gent's or Havana.

They cost about a $1.00 each, and to me, they write better than any other, and last longer, including the genuine Mont Blanc that I paid $5.00 for.

In Ballpoints, I use the genuine parker. The Cross type? The genuine Cross, but they are nothing to get excited about. I solved than problem the way you did.

Bonefish

Ron Mc

I purchase all of my refills here: http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=GRBU

Great product and great price!

Rudy Vey

My experience with the refills that come with the kits is actually very good!! I have had several customers coming back and asking me for the type of refill that came in the pen when they bought it from me. They even had bought the original brandname "C" or "P" refills, and they did not write as good as the first one in the pen.
This topic comes up here and on the other sites quite often, and my answer is always the same. I have sold hundreds pens in the last years and never, ever had one bad refill coming with the kit!! I always test the refill when I put it in the pen on a quality writing pad. I pretty much exclusively use Berea kits, don't know the quality of the ball point refills that come with Penn State or CSUSA, but I think they may come from the same source. One refill I do not like and that is the Hauser rollerball refills, and I always change them for a Schmidt refill.

redfishsc

I guess I'm just a crap refill magnet.

I have two Schmidt and a Hauser rollerball refill and the Hauser and one Schmidt skip when I write (my wife uses my Gents sometimes and tells me "your spensive pen doesn't write very good). That's the only three rollerballs I have made, two out of three is lousy statistics. Apparently these are oddball statistics.

I'll check out the Pilot G3, thanks.

Are all gel Parker-styles non-indelible (ie, they're not waterproof)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom