What is it...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Here I am again challenging your brains and knowledge, to request that someone tell me what this material is.

It was cut as normal pen blank sizes (21mm square x130mm long), is very light weight, doesn't allow soaking easily, is nature created and will take a very long time to reach a thickness that will allow a full pen blank size to be cut/made from it.

The sample was turned and finished as any other sample I make...!

I'm not 100% sure but, I think that I've saw someone posting a pen made out of this same material, some time ago, over a year I'm sure...!

So, what you think it is...???

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 371
  • 009a.jpg
    009a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 010a.jpg
    010a.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 012a.jpg
    012a.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 348
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mossy

Code:
OK here's my guess, I've just turned some similar wood which is very old and weathered yew. :question:

robutacion

Well, well...! a few folks with a good idea of what these blanks are made of or come from and, as ve3bax' correctly identified, it is indeed Pine bark...!

The bark is from a couple of Town trees that were cut a few years back, no far from me. They are approx. 100 years old Pine trees that were planted at one edge of the road, at the back of town.

I know that, old pine trees can produce thick bark as I grow up making little boats and all sorts of other floating or not stuff, with my then, faithful pocket knife (almost mandatory for every male to carry at all times, those were the days...!).

I was re-arranging some of my dry wood storage area, when I come across some large squares I cut from the base of one of those old trees (about 1 meter + across) and the bark separated as soon as I touched them, was then when I though in put in a side and cut some pen blanks out of it + the sample and show it here, as I believe (I'm sure) not everyone knew that was possible to make pen blanks out of this material and much less, have had the opportunity to actually work (do something, anything...!) with this light weigh material.

Based upon that though I collected the bark from the other squares I had stored and instead of turning them into firewood, I decided to cut them and put them a side for later, maybe offer some for sale, either here or on eBay.

Strangely, being so soft, it doesn't soak the CA that well, even the thinnest one, the 5cup from Monty, that I believe id due to the water repellent properties all tree bark have, for obvious reasons...!

I did not tried "stabilise" it with my normal 70-30% rein PR- acetone and my pressure pot as I don't believe the 100PSI my pot can reach safely, would be enough for full penetration of this material however, I have a feeling that the Cactus Juice and a good vacuum stabilisation system, such as the one from out own Curtis, would do the trick and I would like to find out the answer, If I can find someone close to me with that system or any proper stabilisation equipment/process...!

It is not impossible to make a pen, either single or double barrel with this stuff not stabilised, I have experience stuff a lot softer that this and was possible. All my samples are done with a full blank in between centres, and I had no difficulty whatsoever in making that sample and, after I tried to soaked it with CA, before I "turned"/make it round, and realise that was soaking much or deep enough, I decided to not soak it any more and mount it in the lathe as is.

I did not soak is with CA as I went, I went from square to the final shape in one go, some 240, 320 and 400 grits sand paper worked very gently to not sand any more material than what absolutely necessary and then, sop the lathe and give it the first soaking with the thin 5 cup CA, using my finger to spread the CA evenly, rotating the blank slowly with the other hand. After that was 6 coats of medium CA using the traditional "applicator" and then give it a run with the wet sanding in 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 2500, cleaned up and polishing with some polishing compound...!

I reckon, using it on those very heavy pen kits, would balance the pen or make it a lot lighter than if using a heavy/dense wood or acrylic, unless the heavy weight pen is the target...!

Very much like in any other circumstances where I come up with unusual pen "dressing" materials, this one is bar far not new but, rarely seen...!

I like the idea of "utilisation" of natural and available materials, instead of their total waste/destruction...!

While there is no "prize" this time, for the correct answer, I appreciate all of those that had a go...!

Thank you.

Cheers
George

Cheers
George

Attachments

• my turnings 022_(1).jpg
    my turnings 022_(1).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 172
  • pines 009_(1).jpg
    pines 009_(1).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 159