What is it from...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

I will give a few hints to the wood species it belongs to, it is one of the first woods I found when I moved up here, therefore is in my timbers list (the first 30 numbers in the list, do not represent the order they were found...!).

Is one of the Native trees of Australia and actually the tree symbolizes one of our States. When green, smells like flowering Gidgee, for those that have experience it and I can tell you that me smell is not nice...!:frown:

Relatively short life expectancy, this one is believe to be about 35 years old and of of its bigger killers is a particular type of wood borer that eats the wood inside out, filling its channels with sawdust, as it goes...!:mad:

Spalts very easily, with some of it happening while the tree still stands and alive, such as this one. The bark is very dark, the leafs are medium green and the flowers yellow. Produces some nuts/pods the size of a small hazelnut.

Lots of clues, huh...???

I had this wood cut in all sorts of blanks sizes and shapes but, all of the wood I ever had was from trees that were very dead, most felt to the ground. This is the first one ( and the biggest one) that I manage to get when it was still half alive. What I mean is that, the tree being so old, the main trunk was pretty punky and eaten away, but one side of it has re-shot long ago from the side of the root growing a new smaller trunk that it became attached/melted to the old trunk but feeding from the old root.

This tree did became a hazard and marked as condemned by the council so, I offer to cut it and remove all its remaining's. I had my eye on this tree for some years as it was located at the main entrance of my auto-mechanic's property. Its location was no more than 2' from the mechanics fence, 2 meters from the main road (high traffic) and about 4' from the entrance itself, this meant that the tree had only one 1 safe fall direction (over the fence into the mechanics land) of the 4 possible, that was a risk that no one was willing to take, including myself that use that road and the mechanics driveway, to damn often...!

The dead wood is pretty much what I was expecting and have plenty of but, the alive/green stuff, did show an increase in the bright reds typical of this wood but this time, the sharpness of all the colours was amazingly obvious so, a tree that was still standing yesterday, is now cut, stored and with some of the green wood, in processing.

I've got a small log cut last night when we got home, and then took some of the pen blanks upstairs to the house to microwave and see if the colours would stay sharp. This morning when I picked one the the now dry blanks and put it in the lathe, did become obvious that the colours were still there and certainly enhanced as soon as I put the first coat of this CA.

I have now 3 samples done but was to late/dark by the time I finish the last 2 so I only have pics of the first (crotch wood) and certainly, the most spectacular one. The other 2 are cut with the grain (straight cut) one a 2 tone and the other a heartwood one. I'm yet to cut some in diagonal and cross, and from the colours of the wood, they will be also very interesting, I'm sure...!

So here it is...!

What wood species could produce such beauty...???:wink::biggrin:

PS: The numbers in the sample, correspond to each of the blanks faces, only...! I didn't write the more important identification number, for a reason, huh...???:wink:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3199_(1).jpg
    100_3199_(1).jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_3200_(1).jpg
    100_3200_(1).jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_3201_(1).jpg
    100_3201_(1).jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_3202_(1).jpg
    100_3202_(1).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, I've got some diagonal, cross and spalted on the microwave to turn tomorrow or so but, the straight cut 2 tone and heartwood ones were photographed this afternoon so here they are...!:wink:

Enjoy...!

PS: So no guesses yet...??? not even with all my hints...???
OK, lets say that, this wood species is within the first 20 species of my timbers list...!:)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3204_(1).jpg
    100_3204_(1).jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_3206_(1).jpg
    100_3206_(1).jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_3208_(1).jpg
    100_3208_(1).jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_3209_(1).jpg
    100_3209_(1).jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 102

robutacion

Golden wattle (acacia pycnantha).

Wow eisbaer :eek:, BULLS-EYE :wink::biggrin:

Quite honestly, I was expecting the correct answer to come from someone in OZ, particularly when I mention the smell/stink of the flowering Gidgee...!:rolleyes:

You just won to yourself a microwaved dried blank, of each one of the cuts I've made, 6 in total. Send me a PM with your postal details and I send you a small postal bag with the 6 blanks, free of charge...!:wink:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Some more samples

Thanks George. I wasn't expecting a prize :) you did make it far too easy.

Well, I don't do these things to offer "prizes" as such, I reckon the information that is passed on, has already considerable value for those interested in the world of trees but, and never being a "condition" for those that contribute to my threads, I like to reward people for their efforts, in this case, you that gave me a very precise and firm answer to my question so, thank you and enjoy those blanks going your way, now that I received your postal details as requested.

All them are ready to be worked on so, don't forget to show as some pics of the pen(s) when finished with some of them...!:wink::biggrin:

Now, and to complete (well, that's what I think...!) this series of samples from this wood species, here are the last 3 samples I finished, spalted, diagonal and cross cut.

Enjoy...!:wink:

PS: The rest of these blanks are not dry, as explained previously, I understand that air drying will take some time, and I may consider if there is any interest for these blanks now, to microwave some, adding the electricity used on to the blanks base prices, that will be identical or so from my regular prices...!

Let me know of your thoughts by PM, only, please...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3216_(1).jpg
    100_3216_(1).jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_3213_(1).jpg
    100_3213_(1).jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_3217_(1).jpg
    100_3217_(1).jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 84