What is this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Can anyone tell from the picture what wood this might be? I picked up a lot of small pieces of wood yesterday and can't identify a lot of it. I was wondering if anyone here could tell from the picture. It has some curl and measures 3x3x51/2. I was thinking it might make some pretty good pen blanks. Thanks to all in advance.

Archie

20051110123327_curlyblank.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hombre4

Ron, I don't think so. There was a lot of stuff and I didn't see anything that might have been dyed. This was a great sale and I picked up a lot of nice things I could use. Even some pen kits, lathe access. brad point drill bits 10" and 12" long and new, ca glue and veneer just to name a few things.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Sure Archie... you don't tell your buddy Tom about this great sale... [:(][:(]
Bring a piece to the market if you come buy and let me take a look...

Dario

Sorry, can't tell from the picture.

One recommendation is to bring it back where you bought it. They can probably ID it for you.

hombre4

Hi Tom, I am off this week end and hope I can make it. I got a lot of nice wood and can't ID all or should I say most of it. As far as taking it back for an ID, it was an estate sale, the auctioneer there called a piece od bloodwood cherry. Got two of those for $1.00. One was 1x4x6 and the other was a 1x4x10. Did pretty good if I must say so. Tom, do I take I81 exit 7? Hope to see you there.

wayneis

Archie if you could scrape the wax off it may be easier, but from what little I can see it might be one of my favorites, Boise de Rose. Does it have a purple/black look to it? If so then that is my guess. I think that if you look in my album you will see at least one pen that I made with Boise de Rose wood. There is also a photo posted in Show your pens of an Emperor.

Wayne

JimGo

WAAAAY too dark to be LV. I could see Boise de Rose, or even a sun-exposed purpleheart (though it doesn't quite appear to have the right grain for purplehart).

SS

Madagascar rosewood (bois de rose) is my guess, though I have never seen any with figure in it. I bought a square of it to make pens out of and won't use it again. It is beautiful until the color turns to near black, but then my square started out a fairly dark violet any way.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
This is just a swag based on what I am seeing on my monitor.
In the first picture it looks like it might be walnut crotchwood.
The second picture looks like it might be canary wood.
I sm probably wrong in both cases.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hombre4
<br />Hi Tom, I am off this week end and hope I can make it. I got a lot of nice wood and can't ID all or should I say most of it. As far as taking it back for an ID, it was an estate sale, the auctioneer there called a piece od bloodwood cherry. Got two of those for $1.00. One was 1x4x6 and the other was a 1x4x10. Did pretty good if I must say so. Tom, do I take I81 exit 7? Hope to see you there.

Archie, best directions according to SWHTM are
Come north on Rt81 and take the the Salem Ave West (Rt58)Exit
When you cross over Rt11 (Burhans Blvd) it will become Church Street.. you will see a large parking lot on the left side about a block or two further down... the building at the front of the parking lot is the Farm Market. I will be there from about 6:30AM to Noon-12:30PM...
Bring people willing to spend money with you... [:p][:p]

Mikey

That looks exactly like a piece of fiddleback blackwood (acacia) that I bought this morning. Apparently it's all the same family as Koa and other trees from the tropical regions in the pacific rim and in the Medeterranean.

wayneis

Well that I can see it better its not Boise de Rose, any of the other guesses may be the right one. SS I've done a lot of Boise de Rose pens and have never had one turn black, your piece must have already been close to black. Most of the BDR that I have bought have been a very rich dark purple color with black lines running through it, thats what I look for when I am looking to buy. You shouldn't give up yet, BDR is a very beautifull wood. Its a perfect choice for Lawyers.

Wayne

Randy_

Sure would be nice if you could resize that first picture. Big pictures make the threads very hard to read as you have to do a bunch of left/right scrolling. The second picture is just about right. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom