What is this for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

What is that brass nut thing for in the lower left corner? I think I have one but I've never used it. Thanks!

pro_pen_mandrel.jpg

R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Huey

Lou
I have found that most of those compression fitting slide on the mandrel. Went back to space blocks. If you can't find yours let me know I have several laying around and will send you a couple.

Fred in NC

They did not work for me. They slide, and the end does not seem to be square to the mandrel. Anyway, when turning a single barrel I put it closest to the headstock, and use an oops barrel to fill the empty space.

G

I thought my oopses were meant for spacer blocks.
I have collected various sizes woods, materials and shapes.

If you want a shorter mandrel the best option out there is the style that has a Morse taper collet arrangment. You can make the mandril as short as you wish, even so short you can turn a center band on it.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Fred, sounds like you are describing the same problem I had with that brass thingie...found out the nylon ring inside the brass fitting was worn out/out of whack...replaced it and the fitting works fine now...

JohnPayton

G

Originally posted by btboone
<br />Drill bit depth locking collars work fine for that application too. A 1/4" one can fit on a mandrel and lock down in place.
Doesn't that also scar the mandrel shaft?

btboone

Yup, I was referring to the slip collars that Fred was. They should not mark the mandrel. I've seen them in woodworking catalogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom