What are "Recessed Clips"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Someone asked, "What is a recessed clip?" Here is my definition. Others will have different definitions, and that can be confusing.

Any clip whose attachment and finial is countersunk below the top of the turned part of the pen barrel at the cap is referred to as a "recessed clip". Some of these pens are countersunk much farther than others. There is a tutorial for making this clip attachment in the library, "Countersunk Clips", by Jay Pickens. You will find it under the 2005 hearing.

While you are there in 2005, you will also find an article on making what is called the "Invisible Clip", by Mike Vickery. These pens feature a "closed end" on the cap, and the clip attachment is hidden inside of the wood, and therefore "invisible". There is nothing on the outside of the pen to indicate how the clip is attached.

The confusion comes because there are some who call this a "recessed clip", as does Bill Jackman in his article, "Recessed Clips", that can be found under the 2006 heading in the library.

I prefer the word "invisible" because it best describes this clip attachment. There is nothing that is visible from the outside of the pen to indicate how the clip was installed. "Invisible" also differentiates this clip attachment from those that are merely "countersunk".

I trust that I have sufficiently confused the issue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Posted at 1:30AM your time, EDITED at 3 AM. Russ, you are much too dedicated!!!

Get some sleep and thanks for the clarification![:)][:)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Someone was asking not long ago what had happened to the "Midnight Marauder" of the IAP, so I thought I would try to lay claim to the title.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />Someone was asking not long ago what had happened to the "Midnight Marauder" of the IAP, so I thought I would try to lay claim to the title.

What do you say we give it to him, so he can get some sleeeeeeeeeppp??[:D]

bjackman

Russ, so let me see if I've got this right. Invisible clips are the ones we can't see, and recessed clips are those we can't see because they're taking a little 10 minute play break.

I feel better, now that we've all gotten that straightened out. [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom